COLOURFULWORLD

Friday 6 November 2020

October Wrap-up

The month started with a lunch on Friday 2nd, at Grace's lovely home north of the river. It's always nice to meet with Grace who a lot of you know from Perth Daily Blog.

On the way home I stopped to visit my friend Vina who is her 80's and had an exposed fracture on her foot when she fell down some stairs and was recovering in a hospital also north of the river. 

Then I had to rush home, change clothes and drive to Fremantle with my husband to go to the WA Portuguese club for the first Friday of the month Codfish dinner. It's always a great opportunity to see friends who we don't often see.

Codfish with potatoes and chickpeas, Custard tarts and Madeira meat skewer

On Saturday 3rd I joined the other ladies from the Committee of the Portuguese Australian Women Association of WA at a coffee shop in the city centre to discuss the Afternoon tea that was held the week before and to plan new events to be held in November.

After the meeting I wandered around the city and loved to see all the activity - lots of young girls being filmed singing and others posing for cameras and Spring rainbow colours in many places, like the Globe lane steps and the city's Information kiosk.




On Monday 5th, I started training a new colleague at work, and on the same day my daughter and son in law left the Philippines where they had been working, so Thomas (my son in law) could start a new 4 year contract in Cologne, Germany.    He was offered a great position, but has to learn German, so both of them have thrown themselves into learning the language with podcasts and also with the help of online lessons from a German teacher offered by the company.

Karina was born in Braunchweig, Germany, where we lived for almost 6 years during the 80's. I'm looking forward to another travel destination and both Karina and I are also looking forward to one day visiting the place where she was born.

And talking about Braunschweig, I received a postcard from the ever thoughtful Iris, from Double-half or One Ten without ham with the town's most well known symbols in an ABC pattern. 


I was given 2 round coffee tables, a desk and Tv unit, by one of our Doctors who is selling her huge house in Perth's best suburb to downsize to a smaller river front townhouse.  Jose hitched the trailer and we went to collect the things and were shown around the fully painted and styled house which was ready for Open House the following day. 

Views of the city and Swan River on the way to Dalkeith. The statue of Eliza dressed in yellow



We had been at her house many times, and as Dr said the house looked like something out of a magazine but too pristine for her, and it certainly looks as if no one ever lived there.  You can check the house here on this link. With the suburb's median price of $3 million it's not for all pockets...






On Saturday 24th the "Buy Nothing Free Garage Sale" was held in our suburb for the second year. I probably had loads to give away, but just didn't have the time to get organized, so as I didn't have many things I joined a neighbour 2 streets down, and set up my table there. It wasn't as busy as last year but I still managed to donate most of my goodies. What didn't go I then advertised on the Buy Nothing FB page and apart from a couple of things they've all gone. 














colleague was on holidays the week starting Monday 26th, so I had to work 10 hour days for 4 days and a 5 hour day (my normal half day), which was quite exhausting, as I was also training someone, which was already a brain drain... 

On weekends I relaxed by painting furniture of course 🤣

The last week of the month was a lucky week for me as I sold 3 of my painted pieces of furniture - one of the tables I was given by the Dr (the other is being fixed as the table top needed to be glued), and a sideboard and rolltop desk which had been for sale for a couple of months. 

As usually everybody asks for a deal, and even though I don't sell for much and  refinishing furniture takes a long time, as long as the offer is reasonable I would rather sell than keep the stuff in my already overcrowded double garage... but I really can't count on being paid the hours I work on some of the pieces !

After - the sideboard, rolltop desk and small table

Before being painted - the sideboard was in good condition, the rolltop desk required loads of fixing up and the Indonesian table needed wood glue on 2 legs

On Sunday 25th we visited our friend W, who was operated and I baked a Walnut cake to have with afternoon coffee/tea and made a Tuna Casserole to leave for the couple. 








It was a beautiful afternoon and we sat outdoors enjoying the river views. Around 6pm, the husband called the ducks and swans with his usual call and they all came flying in for their evening meal. Being Spring there were lots of ducklings and baby swans (cygnets) around.

bottom photos - 4 cygnets with their Mom



























The month ended with a dinner at the WA Portuguese Club to celebrate the club's 51st anniversary on Saturday 31st.  Entree was prawns, and dinner was a plate with a chicken thigh and a steak, boiled potatoes, a bit of rice and vegetables. Not traditional Portuguese food at all, as well as being too much food. After singing Happy birthday everyone was served a slice of cake and there was a self-service coffee/tea table

Dinner was accompanied by entertainment by two local Portuguese artists and we could dance.

The singers (on the left), the room, blowing the candles - the President (in red) and vice-president and the kitchen volunteer staff 


And I end this post with photos of the magpies that live in the park across the road from our house and when they see us in the front garden they wander over asking for food. I give them a couple of walnuts and then they just go back to the park. They are notorious for being aggressive in Spring to protect their young in the nests, but I have read that if you feed them they know you and won't attack you.

Magpies eating walnuts and the doves that we feed in the backyard 

In our garden we are having a bumper crop of delicious mini tomatoes and we are looking forward to lots of mangoes too. The tree first gave mangoes two yeas ago, about a dozen only, but last year due to high winds the flowers dropped and we had no mangoes.  On our walks we always come across mulberry trees on the verge and we stop to eat a few....delicious. And do you know that you can use unripe mulberries to clean your red hands?

Mangoes and tomatoes from our garden. Mulberries picked on our walks

34 comments:

  1. Hmm. Grace never cooked us lunch!
    While there was some history in Cologne, it is a very modern city in some ways are really, very nice and with a huge university population, that always means a lively city.
    I suppose that you enjoy restoring furniture and can sell it, it doesn't matter so much that you don't get a good hourly return wage for your labours.
    Ah, you friend on the river. How nice to visit again.
    Interesting that magpies like walnuts.
    Tomatoes ripe already? You have such a different climate to here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Andrew, I'm special :)
      I visited Cologne when we lived in Germany in the 80's but I can only remember the Cathedral and visiting a huge park in the city where there was someone walking 2 small lions on a leash! I enjoy painting and even enjoy sanding the furniture, I find it all quite relaxing, so as you say I don't really add the hours I spend on each piece.
      I've seen the magpies eat olives from our olive tree in the front garden, I tried walnuts and they eat them, but just one nut seems to be enough for each magpie. Our weather is warmer here, the tomatoes started ripening maybe 3 weeks ago already. Enjoy your weekend Andrew.

      Delete
  2. You really started the month quite busy! And aw, the spring colors in the city, so beautiful.
    Hope Karina and Thomas are doing well and aren´t too disappointed.
    Masks are mandatory in the city (here) now, it was quite empty hence. Hope come better times you can do the little ABC - without masks! And a cuppa together...

    Wow, that house. Even if I had the money... no. Way too sterile.

    Brain drain, oh. I had that once, too. Exhausting! At one point I said (my friend told me, I don´t remember): "now this is important, you should write that down" - it was no use, he just failed... at least my friend had a good laugh...

    Big wow on the furniture!!! A very big wow!

    Seeing all that food sure makes me hungry, Sami! And awww, the magpies! "My peanut" (the squirrel gets a walnut each day, too.
    The Mulberry-trick is new to me (but I wouldn´t know where to find some).

    That sure was a packed month :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those rainbow colours in the city were beautiful Iris.
      Karina and Thomas are ok, a bit restricted right now of course, but looking for a house to rent once their container arrives from the Philippines.
      Glad you liked the furniture upcycling :)
      Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco, bom fim de semana para si tambem.

      Delete
  4. Hope you can travel to your daughter in Germany once when Corona is over... Many borders in Europe are closed at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good idea that European borders are closed, it might be easier to contain the virus in each country then. Enjoy your weekend Marianne.

      Delete
  5. You had a busy and enjoyable month, Sami, and it is apparent that COVID is not imposing great restrictions on your movements or freedom to associate, and I think that makes us all a little envious. I hope that you remain safe as the borders between states begun to open up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, right now we are basically leading normal lives, let's see if in a couple of weeks when interstate borders open it continues that way... Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  6. ...Sami, you had a busy and beautiful month, keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it all, but I got stuck on the food. I'm hungry this morning.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food is always tempting Sandee. Hope you're having a nice weekend.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Black swans are beautiful. Thanks William.

      Delete
  9. Un mes con mucha actividad y de mucho trabajo.

    Siempre es agradable reunirse con la familia y los amigos, con ellos tienen un gran apoyo.


    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Sami,
    Congrats for Karina and Thomas on their next four year adventure in Cologne, Germany. Not far away from my hometown in Limburg, The Netherlands. Funny that Karina is born in Braunschweig and yes, you now have a new destination for traveling; long distance and Thomas' Parents will be happy to have them closer to home.
    That huge house did not have any 'nest' feeling, too roomy and bare.
    You constantly end up with lots of painting projects to do but you're a master in doing so.
    Can't get over the fact that you all can meet freely and plan events, compared to The Netherlands and our region here...
    We did have lunch on a terras this afternoon in a neighboring city where I dropped my iMac off as it had stalled. We got told it would be ready in about an hour... turned out it was not so I still have to drive this one-hour one-way trip next week. But people wearing masks were waiting to be seated at distance, at the Mexican restaurant we went to. SAD, especially for all restaurant owners as they barely can stay in business.
    A friend in The Netherlands who survived colon cancer and is feeling a bit better told us sadly that they cannot even celebrate. No more than 3 people are supposed to meet... not even their two children and five grandchildren can come. SO SAD for being deprived from all that! So many depressed people and even suicide cases.
    We hope that soon this will end.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette. We've been lucky and grateful that our Premier closed our borders and all returning residents have to go into mandatory hotel quarentine. It's very sad that Europe is getting worse day by day, specially sad for the elderly and sick people who can't have their families around them. Even here depression rates have gone up.

      Delete
    2. 💞Sad that no visit for saying goodbye to Karina, either by her or by you was feasible...

      Delete
    3. Yes it was, she had a flight booked for March which she couldn't make as it was the day before borders closed, then rescheduled it for September, and once again still couldn't come, as only Australians and Australian residents are allowed in... Hoping for better times soon.

      Delete
  11. Looks very nice Sami and all that food does look really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another busy month Sami. You do such a beautiful job with your painting of the furniture, I can see why they sell so quickly. Will be lovely when the world gets its act together and we can travel around again, think how wonderful when you get to catch up with Katrina again.. all I can think about is a custard tart 😉xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, glad you liked the furniture. I've started on the bookcase you gave me :)
      Apparently we won't be able to travel overseas for a couple of years, as per what I heard today! Quite catastrophic for the travel industry and for all countries that rely on turism.

      Delete
  13. Somehow this post slipped through the cracks and I missed it. You always have the BEST food, where ever you go. It doesn't pay to visit you hungry (grin).

    I loved that card sent you by Iris. It is beautiful. And I am sorry your daughter and SIL are moving there and you can't be with them during this move.

    Your furniture turned out great. Although I'm NEVER a fan of painting real wood, you did a phenomenal job with these pieces.

    I'm not usually a fan of modern houses, but I fell in LOVE with the Dr's home. I realize some people feel it is sterile, but I thought it was SO well done, and I could definitely live there, especially that kitchen which I fell in love with, That island is to die for.

    Again, sorry I'm late visiting. I hope to catch up soon, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Elizabeth, no need to apologize. I haven't done much visiting lately either, just been overwhelmed with work, etc.
      I too love that kitchen island, golly you could throw a party for 20 people, have all the food there and everyone standing around it.

      Delete
  14. Your furniture and baking -- both so beautiful! And sounds like great fun with family and all. I'm not sure how you get it all in, but well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is lovely to read your month Sami as see that out of Victoria, life continues! Our family is happy to see things opening up. Love the giveaway garage sale idea! Your furniture is fabulous, people are cheeky asking for a discount I'm sure they take hours of work!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy Victoria has managed to control the outbreak. I think most people ask for a discount, but I've even had offers for half the price, which wouldn't even cover the costs, and that I really hate!

      Delete
  16. Lovely post and photographs, it sure was a packed month.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.