COLOURFULWORLD

Friday 5 July 2019

Sydney - Day 7 -Last day around town

Tuesday, 11th June - On my last morning in Sydney, I arrived in the city at about 11am to meet up with my friend Bebe.
From our meeting place we walked along George Street to Circular Quay from where we were taking a 20 minute ferry ride to Mosman, an upmarket suburb in Sydney's lower north shore.


The Peacock, a Vivid Sydney installation that I missed. I can imagine it would be fabulous when lit at night



On George St, in the suburb of The Rocks, I spotted a mural I had previously shown. I hadn't noticed the  mural matching electrical boxes before, and I liked the green wall under the railway bridge.


The Rocks - Mural, electrical boxes and green wall under the railway bridge



View of the Bridge from George's street

The purpose of the short ferry ride to Mosman was just a relaxing ride and also to get photos of the city from the harbour.
The massive P&O Pacific Explorer was docked at Circular Quay for the day, so lots of tourists exploring the city.

The P&O Pacific Explorer at Circular Quay
The ferry awaits - the Opera House to the right
Circular Quay, the city's highrises and the Museum of Contemporary Art (on right)
Panoramic View - from the Opera House to the Harbour Bridge

Halfway to Mosman we stopped at Cremorne Point, just past the lighthouse on the tip of Robertsons Point.
The lighthouse was constructed in 1910 and is still active, although the access is closed, you can get close to it by descending a couple of stairs carved on the rock.  
I wrote about  a walk around Cremorne Point and this lighthouse in February 2018 and you can read it here.

Lighthouse at Cremorne Point
When we reached Mosman we stayed on the ferry for the return trip.
I enjoyed seeing the pretty houses with their gardens bordering the river, the small apartment blocks and all the small boats anchored on the bay. 
An idyllic setting don't you think?


 

On the return trip to our right was Admiralty House, home of the Governor General of Australia and Kirribilli House, the Australian Prime Minister's secondary residence, on the harbourside suburb of Kirribilli.

Admiralty House (top) and Kirribilli house next door
The ferry ride from Circular Quay to Mosman Bay Wharf (in green)

Sadly my friend wasn't feeling too well that day and we said our goodbyes, she went home and I got on the train at Circular Quay to the Airport.
At 2pm I was at the airport ready to pick up my bags from the storage, at Terminal 3, then walked across to Terminal 2 with plenty of time to spare and rest before taking off at 4,45pm.

Sunset by take-off
We arrived about 40min late in Perth due to high winds, I took a taxi home and was welcomed by my 3 cats eager to have another meal.
As usual Fluffy gets very clingy when I'm away and then for a week or two will follow me around like a puppy.

35 comments:

  1. i love the green wall under the bridge. as always, i've enjoyed your travel posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  2. The Peacock looks fabulous!
    And that green is a fantastic idea.
    I really regret we spent so little time in Sydney back then, in the deep garage, too.
    It has beautiful places indeed...
    And you sure had a cute welcome in Perth, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris. I think every time I go to Sydney I find new things to explore, but it's same all over, even in Perth there's always new stuff popping up.

      Delete
  3. I thought those houses and gardens along the river were out of this world. To live in one of those would be heaven. The view is amazing. I am sure you enjoyed the harbor trip because it was a different experience before you said goodbye to Sydney. The peacock installation was lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I was sad I missed the illuminated peacock, it would have looked fantastic! Those houses and gardens were pretty special indeed. Lucky people who live in them :)

      Delete
  4. Uma grande e bonita cidade que gostava de visitar, aproveito para desejar um bom fim-de-semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco, bom fim de semana para si também.

      Delete
  5. I love your Sydney posts Sami, here and last post. I get to see so much more than I ever see when we go over ☺ It has been a while since we did the river trip, the views are fantastic. I do love seeing the Harbour Bridge though, it is beautiful. We are off over again next week. Is Jose home with you now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, the views from the river are great. Jose arrived home on Monday, nice to have him home again.
      Enjoy your trip to Sydney and the time with the family.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful place to visit. I love that peacock. Wow.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandee, have a lovely weekend too.

      Delete
  7. Your views of the bridge really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure was a tight fit for a ship that size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks that way, but there is a lot of space there, it'a a huge and busy bay.

      Delete
  9. Dearest Sami,
    We've enjoyed at that time in 1988 our Captain Cook harbor cruise in Sydney and also the dinner cruise with friends for a special birthday. The lights make the Sydney bay so special.
    Great photos and fond memories of an area Jose left behind now...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS today, the 5th was Dad's cremation and we watched via live stream at 6:30 AM and our Anita at 5:30 PM Indonesian time... Strange days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariette. So sorry again for your loss Mariette. It was good that you were able to be there in his last days and that thank to technology the family was able to participate in his funeral. Lots of love to you.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Shiju for your lovely visit.

      Delete
  11. ...what a fabulous city, I wish that it was closer to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must be a little bit surreal to live this kind of cross continent relationship. Is your husband getting close to retirement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately my husband has had to go where the projects are, but he's actually just decided to accept a redundancy package and return home, as he's had enough of being away from home for 19 months. Sadly we're still about 6 or 7 years away from retirement.

      Delete
  13. this sounds so exciting and your pictures are really beautiful!!! the view from the ferry was quite pretty!!

    sad that your friend was not feeling well but it sounds like a fun 1/2 day anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, yes the views from the ferry are worth the trip.

      Delete
  14. Outstanding Photos!! Really Enjoying This Series. Travel On

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sydney looks wonderful. That peacock is a dazzler. And all that water. I think I'd like Sydney very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, I also love cities surrounded by water. You would certainly like Sydney.

      Delete
  16. Always a joy to see your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.