COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 13 March 2019

Visit to Sydney - Day 2 and Signs (Art gallery, Botanic Gardens and birthday dinner)

Saturday, 2nd March - It was my birthday and after breakfast we caught the 207 bus into the city.
After alighting from the bus we walked to the Art Gallery of New South Wales. 
On the way there I spotted what looked like a tree hanging from a building. I went into the lane to investigate and found that it was a "fake tree" statue.  Strange 😕





Some statues, flower borders on pedestrian areas between buildings, and the ever present Ibis or bin chicken as it's also known.




At the gallery I joined a long queue to buy tickets for the  exhibition "Masters of modern art from the Hermitage" that was ending the following day.


Art Gallery of NSW - the building, entry and one of the galleries (bottom right)


With tickets purchased ($28 each) we joined the crowds of people in front of every piece of art. A lot of people would take selfies in front of every painting making it difficult to take pictures...

There were 65 artworks from French artists including Monet, Gaugin, Cézanne, Pissarro, Picasso, Matisse and Signac.


Cezanne (top 2), Monet and Gaugin (my favourites)






Portraits by : Andre Derain, Felix Valloton, Henri Matisse. Left right: Kees van Dongen ,Henri Matisse and Kandinsky (left)

Paul Signac - I quite liked this technique
Pablo Picasso (top and bottom right) and Henri Matisse (bottom left)
Top: Henri Mangun, Henri Matisse.  Bottom : Henri Matisse, Camille Pissaro
After this exhibition we walked around the rest of the Museum (free area) and it was almost closing time (5pm) when we left the gallery.
During my visit to the Art Gallery in June 2018, the statue of Captain Cook was in front of a massive window looking out at the bay. Now the statue was centre stage in another gallery.

Various works of art with Captain Cook at the centre of the gallery



Across the road at the Royal Botanic gardens, the "Plants that bite" exhibition at the Calyx had already closed at 4pm, and a wedding reception was being prepared. While the bride and groom posed for photos around the park, the guests mingled near the Calyx.


The bride and groom taking photos, the little boy in the suit had a dummy/pacifier, the Calyx and the tables being set for the wedding inside the Calyx exhibition room that could be seen through the sign on the side of the building


We walked around, found the koala topiary, visited the herb garden and sat down quietly while listening to the birds on the trees.







Herb garden & flowers
Before dark we walked to Circular Quay to take the train just one stop down to Green Square.


Panoramic photo of the Opera House, Bridge, cruise ship on Circular Quay and some of the surrounding buildings
A lot of the train commuters were dressed up to join the Mardi Gras parade in the city.
I would have loved to see this very popular parade, but there was no time for it, we just saw two of the floats.



From Green Square station we walked 20 min until we reached "The Grounds of Alexandria". I had found this quirky restaurant through a blog I read recently and I chose it for my birthday dinner.
It opened in 2012 on a former industrial area and consists of a restaurant, garden, bakery & patisserie, coffee roastery, animal farm, florist and markets.
The area didn't disappoint for sure and we explored some of the areas and then went to the "Potting Shed" restaurant for our dinner.

The various areas in the Ground of Alexandria
Chickens and a piglet in the animal shed, people were roasting marshmallows when we arrived (1 left after dinner)
Note the sign at the entrance of the Potting Shed



The food was tasty, presentation was fabulous, the desserts were exquisite, cocktails very expensive (but we had a glass of wine only)...


Our starter - Mussels with coconut cream, battered fish for me, Scotch fillet for Jose, mango parfait (yummy) and Ruby chocolate mousse


After dinner we caught a waiting taxi to the Green Square station, a train back to the city and then a bus home where we arrived well past 11pm.
It was a full day but very enjoyable and I got to do all I had wanted for my birthday 😍


And joining the "Signs" meme today I leave you with some of the signs seen at the New South Wales Art gallery.
For other signs follow this link: http://signs2.blogspot.com

 

34 comments:

  1. Oh what fun and I love the food, and Monet is my favorite of all. I have many of his prints in our home.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like Monet, and I've painted a Gaugin that hangs in my lounge. Thanks Sandee.

      Delete
  2. The art is what really draws my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, a great variety indeed :)

      Delete
  3. Conheço bem a maioria dos locais.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my you had a very busy day - loved the art show - they had a great selection. I also love that stippling technique.
    that restaurant looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill. Didn't know it was called stippling technique, it's very nice.
      The restaurant was fabulous :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Sami, thanks for visiting my blog. You sure packed in a lot of stuff on your Sydney visit. Would you believe I am a country member of the NSW art gallery and get free entry to the exhibitions and didn't go this one!! I guess I just wasn't up to the crowds and preferred seeing the work of the masters while in Europe, but the crowds are now enormous there too I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan. Lucky you, as the tickets were quite expensive ($28). The crowds were crazy but I thought it was because it was the last weekend, I suppose during the week it would have been a bit better. Oh well, you'll have Europe to look forward to.

      Delete
  6. A funny tree! As the name bin chickens, so true and so mean ;-)
    I´m surprised you´re allowed to take pictures in the Gallery. Here often it´s not possible.
    Lucky you could and share!

    A tad old for a dummy, that boy. My Nieces both didn´t want one. I wonder how kids learn to speak with one and how their teeth grow properly...

    Awww, the koala! Great picture, you look very happy :-)

    Mardi Gras... The Simpsons come to my mind... sorry!
    And wow, quite a plcae for a proper Birthday-dinner.
    Interesting signs, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures were allowed, just no flash.
      My grandson didn't want a dummy after his 3rd or 4th month, it's better for the teeth too.
      The koala was cute for sure. Thanks Iris :)

      Delete
  7. Aquele museu tem quadros fantásticos, gostei e aproveito para desejar a continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco, igualmente para si.

      Delete
  8. What a day Sami, I'm exhausted just reading about it 😉 I love the Art Gallery, I hope that exhibition is still on when we go in June, Picasso is my favourite. Looks like an excellent pick for your Birthday dinner, so much more to see than the usual restaurant.. bet you slept like a log after that 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That exhibition ended that weekend Grace. Dinner was excellent and such a different place.

      Delete
  9. Que grande passeio!!!!
    E o Museu de Belas Artes é fa-bu-lo-so!!!
    Que edifício lindo! Como eu gostaria de o visitar!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Catarina. O edificio antigo é bonito.

      Delete
  10. ...beautiful images of a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Sami,
    That was quite a memorable birthday for you this year!
    Happy you got it all done, the way you'd planned it.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated birthday wishes.
    Wonderful photographs, especially the art gallery.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Sami!! A bit too late, I know.
    Glad you had a joyful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! What an exhibition! I think you know how much I would have loved that one!

    Lots of diversity in this post. Big hugs to the koala!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.