COLOURFULWORLD

Thursday 18 October 2018

The first half of October

On Friday 5th I went to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the city centre
to get my name changed.
Being Portuguese I have two first names and 4 surnames!! We usually get surnames from both parents and then add our husband's surname when we get married!
When living in Portugal it's all good, as you are only called by your last surname anyway, and all sites, etc are capable of handling all those long names.
But in Australia it's different and I get called by my first surname and not my last one (husband's) and when booking a flight for example I have to join all my names without any spaces or it doesn't fit.

From the time I took my ticket, was called, handed in paperwork, the lady photocopied all my original documents and was told it would take 2 to 3 weeks to be done and left, took all of 11 minutes! I was very impressed with the efficiency of the services.
And yesterday I received the certificate with my new name in the mail, just a week and a half later. That's service! 

In St George's Terrace, right by the office block where I went for the name change these colouful kites hung above the canopy.
As well as the flowers and the gigantic bird cages on the pavement of Hay street mall, they were part of the #Spring in the city, which included a lot of activities for the kids during their school holidays.


Kite canopy at Brookfield Place
Flowers on Hay street Mall



That day I also saw a lot of Star Wars characters which delighted the kids and the RSPCA also had a lot of volunteers out on the streets of Perth collecting donations.
I noticed that the volunteers that had dogs with them were more popular and seemed to get more donations, as people wanted to pat the dogs 👍



Last week it also became official that our second grandchild due at the beginning of April is going to be a girl 💗 We are all thrilled, a boy and a girl is just great!


On Saturday 13th my South African friend Geraldine celebrated her 50th birthday with a great party with the theme "colour and glamour".

Some of the ladies present at the party. The birthday girl is in the white dress and I'm next to her in the purple dress


The starters table was amazing with a huge choice of cheeses, cold meats, dips and crackers as well as some fruit and nuts.
Then followed dinner of vegetarian lasagna, goat curry and grilled chicken and salads.
Afterwards followed some dancing to great music from the 70's and 80's and there was even live music from the father of one of the guests. He was visiting from South Africa and happens to be a band singer.
After dancing the birthday girl made a speech and cut the beautiful cake.
I and 3 friends that had gone with me left at around 10,30 pm as we still had about 45 minutes drive home.
Just 10 minutes after we got on to the freeway we were caught by a massive downpour and I had the drive all the way home at 60km/h and sometimes less as I could hardly see ahead with all that rain. 
But we got home safe!

Birthday balloons, birthday cake, the singer and the starters table

And to end the fortnight I've booked flights to the Philippines to visit our daughter in December. As well as being happy that I'm going to see my daughter I'm also excited to visit a new country.

30 comments:

  1. Um mês muito preenchido.
    Gostei muito de saber da eficiência dos serviços públicos na Austrália.
    A isso chama-se serviço de qualidade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nunca tive problemas por acaso Pedro. Ainda me lembro quando ca cheguei e fui fazer a carta de conducao demorou uns 20 minutos e ja de la sai com o comprovativo que podia usar ate a carta chegar 2 semanas depois.

      Delete
  2. Love the flowers painted on walk way.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen real Star Wars cosplay in person (good enough to match the movies) but someone did have a remote R2D2 (gold color for some reason) at a fair I went to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a Star wars fair unfortunately. Thanks Adam.

      Delete
  4. When we were at ER Hospital Joondalup and they finally called for Ingo they didn´t take his surname but his third forename (and they misspelled it, too).
    Luckily I´m trained on that name, coming fromthe city of Henry - "Heinrich" the Lion :-)

    And now I´m really glad, too, I just simply kept my name. My SIL added Bro´s surname and has a double one.

    11 minutes, wow.

    Owww, love what they always do to decorate and celebrate.
    But Star Wars is not my thing. Too young for the original (and Ingo "forced" me through one movie), too old for the new stuff.

    Congratulations, Sami! And boy and girl is perfect, too - an older Brother must be awesome!

    Now I´m hungry and feel the groove :-)

    Wow, you are some traveller - enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a Star Wars fan either... I too was surprised at the speedy service Iris.

      Delete
  5. Gostei da festa de aniversário e uma boa viagem minha amiga até ás Filipinas.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco, ainda faltam umas semanas ate la...

      Delete
  6. That's a great theme for a great party, the food looks amazing.
    What an exciting week, a grand daughter on the way and an exciting trip in the works!
    What fun!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wren, the party was great, future grand daughter exciting and looking forward to the trip too :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It was massive, lots left by the time we started dinner...

      Delete
  8. It is strange all those different names in different countries. They all have their own rules. I have my husband's name and my own family name, but younger women only use their own family name now and don't want to use their husbands name anymore.
    They think it is not emancipated....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the younger generation in Portugal also don't adopt the husband's surname nowadays...it all changes.

      Delete
  9. You've had a fun first half of October. I love all the colors. Made me smile.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed it :) Have a great day too.

      Delete
  10. The flower murals are very pretty.

    We have a group of Star Wars cosplayers here. They often turn up at events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William. Maybe these people do events as it's tge second time I see them around.

      Delete
  11. I love your posts Sami, so full of fun things. It certainly didn't feel like spring in the city today.. rain and clouds, lucky I love that weather 😉 So many exciting things happening.. A GIRL, perfect! The food at your friend's party looked amazing, made me feel a bit peckish 😀 and a holiday to look forward to also, fantastic! Enjoy your week in Sydney xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. We've been having a strange Spring indeed.
      Happy the a little couple and excited for the upcoming holiday.

      Delete
  12. 4 surnames! Goodness, Sami. My husband is never called by his surname, just his second name which is VAlentine. It amuses me as they call him Mr VAlentine and the young ladies always remember his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think generally Portuguese people will have at least 3 surnames. I'm sure he will be well remembered with that surname Carole, specially by the ladies :)

      Delete
  13. Unique custom. What gets me is how tiny each person in the photo is, as opposed to many in the states who are overweight or obese. And how well you eat, too. I'd weigh 200 lbs if I grazed at your festivities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth :) Sadly Australia also has lots of obesity as lots of people are fast food fans. Since a lot of my friends are from Europe they tend to cook and eat healthier foods. I assume that could be the reason we aren't bigger.

      Delete
  14. Dearest Sami,
    You were lucky for receiving such a quick and efficient service for changing your name! Here in the USA they couldn't deal with my long last name at the Social Security office. They thought that Van was my 'middle' name... so they mutilated it so many times that I finally settled with it all written together without any spaces and that includes my married name. You can only change your SS card 4 times! But it sure was aggravating and I had to hold onto my legal Dutch name so i have no problems showing who I am in regard to my Dutch government pension.
    Being an immigrant has many sides!
    Love those photos from the flowers and bird cages and very much those from the happy birthday party of your friend. You look great too.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy having a long names in Anglo Saxon countries where most people have one single name and one family name. Here you are restricted to changing your name once a year...so you can change your mind often it seems :) The bird cages and flowers were really pretty and feminine.
      Have a lovely Sunday Mariette.

      Delete
  15. What a super post - but the best bit was the news that -
    "Last week it also became official that our second grandchild due at the beginning of April is going to be a girl 💗 We are all thrilled, a boy and a girl is just great!"

    Many congratulations and good wishes to all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, can't wait for the little girl :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.