COLOURFULWORLD

Saturday 28 June 2014

Main Bedroom Revamp

Winter is here and with more time spent indoors I was eager to renovate our main bedroom.
The whole house was painted about 7 years ago when we purchased it, but I was getting tired of the green feature wall and wanted a more contemporary and warmer colour.








I visited Bunnings (one of our hardware warehouses) to pick a few colour cards and get inspiration for the makeover.
I love blues, and most of my house has either a feature wall with Turquoise on it or has some sort of turquoise decorative elements!
This time I wanted something else that would complement with turquoise, so I settled on "Renewed Timber"  from British Paints - a light brown colour.



Last weekend, I moved the furniture to the middle of the room and started painting the walls. Two coats later the room looked cozy and warmer.

Another addition was a curtain rod and champagne blackout curtains running the length of the window wall. I have two windows that aren't centered on that wall, but because I also changed the bed to the window wall I thought it would look neater to cover the whole wall with curtains. 
My son helped out with drilling the holes to put up the rod and hung the curtains while I went to the airport to get my husband and surprised him with the makeover. 
He liked it and was pleased with the curtains as he hated waking up with the light coming trough the blinds.

The photo frame was spray painted in white and the lamp bases in turquoise


I also added small mirrors to 2 of the 4 doors that make up on of the walls of the room - the one to the right is the bedroom door, then 2 are cupboard doors  with a narrower door in between them into the en-suite. 
All those doors on one wall have always nagged me, and I found the best way to beautify them was to glue mirrors to them. 
Of course I had to paint them with a gloss water based paint. I still have to finish them off with some beading, which I intended doing this weekend, only I got a cold and don't have the energy to work!
The doors before the makeover
The doors with the mirrors on (minus the beading)
And remember the post from February, about these little glass dishes I got from Salvos to put my jewellery in?
Well, they have now been spray painted in a turquoise colour to contrast with the brown walls.

Before

After 
 Also in the same post I showed my green necklace hanging frame. It was getting too small, so I used a spare frame, spray painted it white and put all those hooks and necklaces back. 
I still have to put something strong to hang it from on the back of the frame, and then it will be hung above the chest of drawers.

Before

After
I still have to put the beading on the doors and then repaint the shoe box (you can see it in the first pictures at the foot of the bed, or now under the mirror in the renovated bedroom) with a light shade of turquoise...

To finish it off I still need an electrician to install electrical plugs on the window wall, so that I don't have to run ugly cables from the side-tables to the plug by the right side of the chest of drawers, a long way away...
Oh well, old houses like mine, only had one plug in each room!!

I leave you with 2 photos of the bedroom as it was when we came to see the house for the first time.
Scary, I know but we still bought it, as it had good bones and the we managed to negotiate the price too! I think there were 4 different wallpapers, 7 different tiles, and that hideous brown and orange carpet...
Now you can see the difference!!


Bedroom when we saw the house before our offer and below our bedroom afterwards with bed in the same position



Before purchase and below our bedroom with the chest of drawers in the same position



More recent renovation where the bed was moved to the windows wall





14 comments:

  1. Adoro estas renovações da Sami. O quarto ficou super moderno e giro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigada Paula. Deu algum trabalho, pois foi tudo feito sozinha, mas quem corre por gosto nao cansa, nao e?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh- you did a great job! Love the mirrors! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Kathe. I think when I put the wooden beading around the mirrors it will look even better!

      Delete
  4. Really nicely done! I like the colour you chose and the mirrors on the doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I haven't seen you around blogland for ages.

      Delete
  5. I know! Motherhood has been all-consuming! I've also started working on my PhD. I keep planning to post an update with pictures of my baby-turned-toddler...maybe that will happen in the next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply, will see you around soon then. I can imagine a baby and a PhD take up a lot of time!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow Sami, looks fantastic but even before your latest makeover the difference between when you bought it oh la! We have an old house too, orange counter tops, and lino in the kitchen when we bought it ..hideous! but as you say you can see the potential and get a good price into the bargain. Really enjoy it when you show your handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. Our kitchen counters used to be green, and orange and brown tiles on the floor and green flowery tiles on the walls!

      Delete
  7. Wow, great jobs! Love the mirrored doors - and the rest, too. Boy, was it ugly at first, bu-huuu, who wants to live like that, the carpet hurts my eyes ;-)
    You have a great house. No wonder, huh? You´re really creative, wish I was a tad like that, too!
    Hm. But somehow I don´t buy that background pic with the snow - or do I? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris. When I look at the old photos and all we have done, I do feel proud of the great difference! And all done by the 3 of us!
      No snow here in Perth!! I just like to change the background of my blog with the change of seasons and didn't see another winter picture without the snow...

      Delete
  8. Que belo trabalho! Adorei as taças azuis e o tamanho do gato deitado na cómoda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obrigada Sara. As tacas ficaram bonitas. O gato e a Shelley que e super gorda e enorme, parece quase um cao pequeno (pesa cerca de 9kg)!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.