COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 5 July 2023

Monthly Wrap-Up - June and Signs

Also joining Tom with signs, please check his post here

Thursday 1st  - Due to a couple of Drs being on leave, I had the day off work and joined 3 of the ladies of our "Community Harvest group" and went to pick olives from a rural property on the outskirts of Perth, belonging to a friend of one of the members of the group. In the next property there were cows, horses and emus.

On Friday, 4 of us went back to pick more olives for about 2 hours. In a total of 4 or 5 hours we picked 118kg which yielded 22 litres of oil, which was apparently a very good yield.

We also picked macadamia nuts, peppercorns and oranges.

The view from the olive grove, the 4 olive pickers, pepper corns and macadamia nuts, hot chocolate and pie
Cows and Emus next to the olive grove

On the way home, Maria and I stopped at the Railways Markets (my first time there) to have a bite to eat - a pie for each and coffee and hot chocolate for me - and I saw these two train fronts on display.

Sunday 4th  - WA day (Western Australia day) - In the morning we drove to Mandurah (a suburb south of Perth) to look at a "Forward folding camping trailer" that Jose saw advertised.  He's keen to start travelling a bit more, to prepare for an eventual trip around Australia once we retire. The camper has a bed on one side, a sitting area/bed on the other side and an outdoor pull-out kitchen.

We got the camper at a good price, although it needs some improvements, one of them painting the brown cupboards of course!

Camper trailer

The wife of the camper van  owner was South African and her number plate was Ouma (grandmother)


That Sunday afternoon or maybe on Monday 5th, which was a public holiday, we had intended to go to Burswood Park to watch the concerts, fireworks and drone show, but Sunday afternoon turned out to be awfully wet and cold, so the show was cancelled.

Monday 5th  - A public holiday, but we stayed indoors as it was the wettest day since 1986! In just 1 day we had 1/3 of the normal Winter rainfall.

Tuesday 6th - I had an appointment with the optician to check my vision. I seem to be having more difficulty reading small print close to me. Up to now I only wore glasses to drive and to see far away. I was prescribed progressive glasses, and have adapted easily to them. 


Sat 10th -  Portugal Day - dinner & dance at the Portuguese club.

Cod fish and cake

The Portuguese Club hall, me and 2 friends (the older lady is 91 and always ready to party!)


Close to the stage, there were 2 tables full of typical Portuguese things and goodies, which was a nice touch.


Wed 14th - Twiggy's blood tests didn't show anything out of the way, and even though she was still not eating much, and had lost 1kg in 2 months, the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong and suggested she have a scan. 

Sadly, it was discovered she had 3 tumours -  on her liver, one kidney and bowel.     She was prescribed a steroid tablet which has been helping with her appetite and while she is eating, drinking and still doing her normal things like cleaning herself, enjoying lying in the sun in the garden, etc...she is ok. Once she stops eating we will sadly have to let her go.


Friday 16th - The members of the "Community Harvest group" came to my house to divide up the olive oil from the olives the group picked in May. The oil had to settle for 1 month before being bottled up. Afterwards we sat around the dinner table and shared the goodies everyone brought.

Some of the olive oil bottles

The lunch table for the group


Saturday 17th - my 12th blogging anniversary!

Including today's post, I've written 1167 posts, and the blog has been visited by people from 159 different countries, with 44% coming from the United States, 16% from Australia, about 20% from various European countries and the final 20% is shared in very small percentages for the rest of the world.

Thursday 22nd - I went for an endoscopy because I've been coughing on and off for a long time due to reflux. The Gastroenterologist prescribed tablets for 3 months and has sent me off for a Barium swallow, which has been booked for end of August and then I'll return to see him.

After the endoscopy I was served a tea, crackers and cheese and a nut bar

Sign at the GI Clinic

Friday 23rd - My mom was discharged from hospital, where she had been since the 7th after a bad bout of shingles over one eye and forehead, which left her with double vision on one eye, which is slowly getting better. She had a scheduled appointment with a neurologist who was worried about her and sent her off for a spinal tap, where it was found she had bacterial meningitis. She was discharged after an MRI was clear.

Apparently shingles over the eyes if the worst kind and any shingles is very, very painful! I'm hoping to be immunised once the vaccine becomes available for my age group.


Our Community Harvest group has advertised a "melt and pour soap workshop" and I'm the one presenting it, because I make them often for us and to gift, so I made these to put on the advert photo, as I wanted to work out how many soaps I could make with a 1kg bar of soap base. 


Tuesday 27th - Perth woke up to the coldest morning in the last 7 years with 0.1 °C (32F) measured at Perth airport. The windows of my car that stays in the driveway were covered in ice!

Friday 30th - met up with Grace at Ikea for coffee, cake and some shopping.

On the way home I popped in to visit another friend who is recovering from a knee replacement.

When Jose got home we went to dinner at Yuki Japanese Restaurant.



Other signs:





One of the Ibis that has started to come around to eat the seeds I put out for the doves. 
They are a bit of a pest and not very common in Western Australia either...


30 comments:

  1. ...Sami, I'm always amazed by all the things that you are able to pack into a month! Thanks for stopping and sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit rich I think to describe the ibis as a pest. We humans, eight billion of us and growing, have poisoned the air, the water and the soil, we continue to destroy habitat and fill the oceans with plastic, we have changed the climate so radically that it threatens life on Earth as we know it - and an ibis is a pest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right David, humans are more of a pest than any animal on earth!! Sadly the ibis is considered to be an urban pest on the East coast of Australia. They are known as "bin chickens" as they are always scavenging around rubbish bins. But I actually like them.

      Delete
    2. I don’t wish to beat this thing to death, Sami, and promise not to add further comments. I know they are called bin chickens, having seen them on the streets of Sydney, but the reason they are attracted to the bins is due to the incredible amount of edible garbage we humans discard. We are the problem, not the ibises.

      Delete
    3. Thanks David. I totally agree with you, sadly humans are the problem.

      Delete
  3. I got stuck on the Japanese food. Hubby and I Japanese food a couple weeks ago and I'm ready for more.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week, Sami. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Japanese food too. Enjoy your week too Sandee

      Delete
  4. Love the old trains in the photos. The signs for keeping violence away from workers are very sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those signs shouldn't have to be used, it is sad.

      Delete
  5. That is so awful for your mother. My partner's mother suffered similarly and had to wear side shaded sunglasses for the rest of her life. I've just had my second shingles vaccination. The government subsidised one is now inadequate but there is a battle of pricing between the government and the drug company over the newer much better vaccine, but nothing is happening quickly. I had to pay a bit under $300 for each of the two vaccinations.

    You had another busy and social month. I wonder where the first trip in the camper will be to? Does your olive oil taste good? It's nice you caught up with Grace. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the vaccines are quite expensive, I wish the government would fund it for all. We have been invited to go with some friends in November, but still don't know where. The olive oil is good and tasty.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad to have all these adventures with you. I wish your cat well. There are many Portuguese descendants in Hawaii as well! Aloha friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Portuguese seem to be everywhere, but I wasn't aware they went to Hawaii too, I know a lot went to America and Canada.

      Delete
  7. Your olive oil looks amazing. I'm sorry to hear about all the health challenges you, your mother, and your pet are all facing, and wish each of you better health.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mae, my Mom has been to see an ophthalmologist who has reassured her, but it will take time to recover her vision. Poor Twiggy is eating, but not much, but is leading a normal life for now.

      Delete
  8. To olives! Hmmm.
    And to travels, that sounds wonderful!!!
    The number plate is promising, too. Oh, Twiggy...
    That health care sign... when I had to bring Ingo to Joondalup ER I asked what security is for there. Boy, oh, boy, I could not believe it.
    But now it turns that way here (slowly), too... What´s with people...
    Sorry about your Mom, hope she is all better.
    We just have one soap of yours in use :-)
    And do you think Ingo started his? Bet he doesn´t even know where he put the kit.
    Hope Grace is well/better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that lately some people seem to be very entitled and can be rude to all those dealing with the public, irrespective of being in healthcare or not. Lack of patience, lack of manners/education? You will have to take a few soaps when you visit in March. Grace is better, still struggling with the loss. Thanks Iris

      Delete
  9. What a busy month, love that you have collected and made your own olive oil, that should help you get through those cold winter days! How exciting you have your camper trailer all ready for your retirement travels. I'm sure you will enjoy doing it up and the previous owners must be chuffed to know you will enjoy it so much, happy travels! Hope you get to the bottom of your health issues and that your Mum is doing better too, And your beautiful cat continues to eat well despite the tumours. Lots going on in your life. I have enjoyed catching up. Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we will enjoy camping, we will have to start with short trips and see how it goes :) I'm more of a comfort girl :) Nice to hear from you Wren :)

      Delete
  10. I had shingles as a child. Distinctly unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I hear from those that have had shingles, it's very painful ! Hopefully I don't get it. Thanks William

      Delete
  11. YOur harvest day activities sound fun. I never thought about picking olives! And the soap looks great. I'm worried about Twiggy and hope she is comfortable. It's so hard, knowing when they have those challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie. Twiggy is not in pain, said the vet. She seems to be leading a normal life, just eating less than she used to eat, so it's a watch and see situation.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.