COLOURFULWORLD

Thursday 3 June 2021

May Wrap- Up

Saturday, 1st May - even though in most of the world the 1st of May is a public holiday celebrating International Labour Day, Australia celebrates Labour Day in March. Anyway, the Committee ladies of the Portuguese Australian Women's Association (PAWA) had a meeting at Bocceli's Cafe in city, as it's just metres away from the main railway station, so convenient for all of us who live either north or south of the city.

I noticed the Perth City Visitor Kiosk had changed its outlook since the last time I was in the city, and was now sporting an Aboriginal art inspired "skin", painted by Noongar artist Nerolie Bynder.

Visitor kiosk and sitting at Bocceli's Cafe

On Friday 7th, I got my first Astra Zeneca vaccine, next dose 12 weeks later, so at the end of July. Sadly Australia's vaccine rollout has been very slow and only a very small percentage of people have been vaccinated. On the other hand I have found a lot of people who have decided not to be vaccinated as they won't be travelling in the near future... they just don't think that no one else will be able to travel overseas nor will Australia open its borders to overseas visitors even if fully vaccinated. Very sad situation 😔. 

My nieces from San Francisco and from Angola are already fully vaccinated and with Portugal recently opening its borders to a lot of countries, they have already booked their flights to visit family in August. How I wish I we could travel too and have a big family reunion like we did in 2018.

On Sunday 9th it was my niece's birthday in San Francisco and her sister who lives in Angola arranged a surprise zoom call for the whole family from both her maternal and paternal sides (9 families) to wish her a happy birthday. To be able to include all of us in different time zones, my joining in time was 11pm, so we didn't spend much time online.

Nadine's husband was in on the surprise, and as soon as she got up at 8am, he gave the thumbs up and started filming her reaction to our zoom call. She was so surprised and became quite emotional when we all sang Happy Birthday. 

I love how my parents even got all dressed up for the zoom call with the granddaughter :)

On Thursday 13th it was my parents 62nd wedding anniversary. I called them and urged them to go out to dinner, but my Mom said the weather was cold and she didn't feel like going out.

I thought I would then surprise them with a home delivered dinner, and after a bit of an online search I managed to arrange a delivery service from a Brazilian restaurant in Cascais, and gave instructions for a 7pm delivery. 

It was late in Australia by the time I ordered it and as I was ready to get into bed I got a call from an unknown number in Portugal. I answered it and the young guy said he was from the delivery service and the restaurant had run out of one of the dishes, would I like to order another? Another was chosen. Five minutes later another call from the same guy saying I had requested a 7pm delivery but that wasn't how the system worked, and they had to collect it as soon as it was ready which would be around 4pm.

Oh well I tried 😉. I called my Dad and told him about the dinner they would be getting at 4pm and could he tip the delivery guy as I hadn't included a tip in my order.

The next day my Mom called to say how thrilled they had been that I had thought of something like that, and apparently there had been enough food to invite my sister and brother in law to come around.

On Saturday 15th, my niece also arranged another zoom call at my Mom request, who had provided the phone numbers from her cousins in Brasil.

With 16 families online, it started a bit hectic with many talking at the same time, until my Mom suggested we should each say something about ourselves, our lives, families... Because I haven't lived in Portugal for just over 14 years, but my Mom is great at keeping contact with the whole family, she knew them all, but I and some of the younger members of the family had never seen some of the younger Brazilian cousins.

Anyway it led to me reconnecting with some of them and even looking back at old photo books from my two visits to Brasil, the last one about 30 years ago! I scanned some of photos and sent it to them and they were thrilled. The older generation are all dead (my Mom's aunts) and even some from the next generation have sadly died young.

Our visit to family in Brasil 1990


We were affected by a cold snap from the 22nd, with a bit of rain too. Up to then we  had great Autumn weather, with temperatures that could maybe even be considered Summer temperature in some countries.
On the 24th, Perth had its coldest Autumn day in 8 years with a max of 14C. And May was also considered Perth's wettest month in the last 8 years.
 
My wet backyard - taken from my kitchen window

On Friday 28th I drove to Ikea to meet up with Grace, had lunch together then wandered through the shop.

Saturday 29th - My friend Vina who had celebrated her 87th on Monday 25th, invited me to join her and a few friends at Zamia Cafe in Kings Park, for breakfast. I forgot to take photos of the small group, just some photos of the rain falling in the park.

Zamia Cafe (top photo). View of the city from Kings Park

That evening we went to the Ambassador Chinese Restaurant for dinner, a surprise party for our friend Kei who celebrated her 70th also on Monday. A mutual friend invited Kei's best friends and we had 2 tables filled with 24 people. 

When the couple arrived we got up and started singing Happy birthday which highly embarrassed Kei who hates surprises. She though her husband was in on the surprise, but he didn't know either. Some people took cakes, so after dinner Kei blew the candles and distributed cake to all.

Kei and Tony 

I didn't paint much this month, but with extra hours at work because we had a colleague away for 2 weeks, chiro appointments for my back treatments, rain, etc...didn't leave me much time for it sadly.

I only upcycled a coffee table with 3 drawers on either side, which started as a freebie from Marketplace, but in a very bad condition. The photo on the advert hadn't shown the badly damaged, dog chewed corners on two corners...

It took a lot of hours to fill in those corners and the cracks at the top of the table with builders bog (filler), then clean, sand, prime, paint, do the wood looking top... But here it is, another one saved from the tip!



Apart from other bits and pieces, I decided to give away some of my books which I hadn't re-read in over 14 years, to the Buy Nothing Group, in my neighbourhood. Books from Bryce Courtenay, John Grisham, Daniel Silva, have almost all been taken, and the unwanted ones will go a charity shop.


The month also had other great moments like beautiful sunsets, rainbows, cute pictures of the cats, visits from the birds, good food cooked by Jose ...


A rainbow just as I was leaving work

Polvo à lagareiro - octopus, potatoes, onion, plenty of olive oil - So yummi!

Twiggy catching some sun in the garden, Shelley on the sofa

The magpies came for their nuts, and an array of doves waiting for their seeds


Hope you also had a wonderful month of May and that the month of June has started well for you.
 

28 comments:

  1. ...the rain looks wonderful, we received some overnight, but we could use more. I hope that you have a wonderful June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts of the world seem to always have less rain than what they need. Thanks Tom

      Delete
  2. Your shots of the cats must be my favourites.

    It's not about being able to travel; it's about reaching a threshold where we get what's called herd immunity. The more vaccinated the better. After some struggles with our online system I have gotten my first shot appointment booked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, my cats are always my favourite subject to photograph, lol.
      Good luck with your first shot William.

      Delete
  3. What an exciting May. Sorry you are having trouble getting vaccinated. I got the J & J, but at least you are now scheduled for a second shot. You always tempt me with your food and those cakes, oh my. And what a great way to save that furniture. Very impressive. Hope your back is better, too, dear Sami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. My back is certainly much better, chiro has been a success.

      Delete
  4. Forgot to commend you on your surprise anniversary meal for your parents. You sure go all out and that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a last minute thought and was much appreciated :)

      Delete
  5. What a clever thing to organise for your parents, even if it didn't quite work out as you wanted. The table turned out so well. Good enough to keep. 14 degrees is very cold for you. The maggies are great. No chance of you being swooped in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. I read somewhere that if you feed magpies they will remember you and will never attack you and that they live in the same area for years and years. I have never been attacked and they came over from across the park as soon as they see us in the front garden for a while.

      Delete
  6. Octopus done well is a wonderful treat, yet so many people of my acquaintance seem reluctant to try it. Before I retired I used to eat at a Greek restaurant in Toronto from time to time, and they really knew how to prepare it. It was so good I always had the same thing. I knew what I was going to order before I went in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a favourite of mine and very popular in Portugal too, but it's not easy to get here. Thanks David.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Sami,
    Lovely family get together via Zoom and your Mom sounds like an excellent organizer!
    We enjoyed our seven nights stay at the cabin on the Hill near Cherokee Lake in Tennessee. Found some time to read and also to continue with an abandoned cross stitch embroidery from end of October 2007. Life changed for us in many ways and went different as planned. Having my sister stay with us for 4 weeks prevented me from doing any stitching and on and on things came on our path. Including me being very sick and becoming paralyzed and Pieter's sudden open heart surgery and on and on. Also with all the kittens at our home you could not do a lot of things, like stitching some and leaving it there; they would have loved to play with the embroidery silk...!
    We hope that we can find more time for our hobbies and also for biking rather frequently together, which we did today.
    In Tennessee we walked and enjoyed that very much.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear of your and Pieter's recent health problems, hope you are both recovering well Mariette.
      Not easy to do our "stuff" when we have family visiting :)

      Delete
    2. Not 'recent' but since October 2007...

      Delete
  8. Polvo à lagareiro é sempre um must para mim.
    Vou comer no domingo no Restaurante D'Ouro.
    Boa ideia.
    Bfds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que bom Pedro, infelizmente nao temos restaurante Portugues aqui, so uma pastelaria e claro o Clube Portugues que tambem servem comida Portuguesa. Ja houve um ou outro restaurante Portugues mas cozinhavam uma comida "mesclada" para gostos Australianos...

      Delete
  9. Mais um mês excitante com uma série de atividades e eventos, Sami!!
    Que o junho seja igualmente agradável!
    A mesa ficou muito gira.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hummmm aquele polvo à lagareiro tinha um aspecto delicioso.
    Um abraço e bom fim-de-semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estava uma delicia, obrigada Francisco. Bom fim de semana

      Delete
  11. Yes. Not even parcels may travel.
    Opened the one for you and Grace today to check... I won´t send it, the goodies are no good no more, waiting to get send since November.
    No vaccine for me, either. Whom do I meet anyways...

    Love your parent´s dress up for sure! And your surprise meal sure is the sweetest thing of the month!

    16 persons on zoom, WOW!
    You have a wonderful family, Sami.
    Scary. Coldest April in Germany since 1980. Today ... hot, yay!!!! 26C already and it´s not summer yet! Off we are soon :-)

    Fun. Why is it always IKEA? Meet there with my Thomas for that, too.

    Oh, rain! Lucky you. Beautiful pics of that. And from Kings Park, too.

    LOL, I´m with Kei - I´d run!!!

    Hope your back is better. Still try to get a new doctor for my back (my doc only takes private patients now, I cannot afford this, gah).

    Oh. WOW. You did a great job on that table!!! Biggest respect from here.
    Have to wait for steady weather and give away books, also. (we just put it outside).

    LOL, mind you, I´d run from the octupus. My FIL once made tongue and that´s as far as I go... went! I will not repeat this.

    Magpies eat nuts?!
    Thank you for the Wrap-Up :-)
    To a great June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity about the parcels Iris. My parents are the old-fashioned kind that dress up to get out of the house, or go to the movies. Even in lockdown my Mom would put on earrings and make-up.
      Ikea is easy, food is cheap and there is always something interesting to see :)
      Uhhgg tongue - we used to eat that when growing up, but I won't eat it now, or any strange looking meat, but octopus cooked that way is just delicious. I have no idea what magpies eat, but I throw them broken up walnuts and they will eat 2 or 3 pieces and then they fly back to the park across the road. Today we were in the front picking olives and they came over, I went to get walnuts, they ate and left. Because we stayed a long time, they came over again and I went to get more walnuts, lol.

      Delete
  12. What a productive month! Tons of books -- well done, you! I've been trying to part with some of mine, too, and it is easier said than done! And I love the parts about your parents' anniversary. That's a lot of years! I'm so glad you could connect and celebrate in such a wonderful way. Loved the cat photos! Happy June, Sami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find it difficult to give books away, so only gave that genre of books as I hadn't re-read them in a while, I still have selves full, so a long way to go, lol.
      Thanks Jeanie, happy June to you too.

      Delete
  13. Always enjoy your monthly round up Sami, you fit so much into four weeks! You did such a fabulous job on that cabinet, it needed so much work, hope you get a good price for it 💜

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely look back at May, and what a lovely family get together via Zoom.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.