COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 15 May 2019

Gratitude

In mid March I attended one of the free workshops given at my local library called "Decluttering the sustainable way", by Lindsay Miles, author of the book "Less stuff - simple zero-waste steps to a joyful and clutter free life".
A very relevant topic, it was well presented and very informative and I learned a few things too.

 

One of the things I learned is that unfortunately Charity shops are overloaded with stuff which is sometimes useless, broken, dirty, and they actually have to spend lots of money to send it to landfill. 
For the first time I heard about the Facebook "Buy nothing project" where you can give things away to your neighbours.
Not sure if it's a world wide project, but in Perth many suburbs have their own page.
When I got home I joined the group.









Originally comprising 4 suburbs, this group had reached over 1000 members making transactions difficult. A few days after I joined, the group was split into 4 different groups.

Now if I have something I no longer use I offer it to the group, which now reaches close to 200 people. If no one wants the first time, I advertise again a week or two later and if there are no takers then I take it to one of the Charity shops.

To date I've given away flannel fabric, a bag of quilting fabric, wool, pictures that I've had in the garage for years (no more walls to fill in my house), unused books, vases, pots.

Fabric and wool
Wall Pictures
File holders, vases, pots, books...






From the group I've also received some succulents, a blue necklace (I love blue), a couple of mirrors which I've used in the garden, and a small foldable picnic table...

Blue necklace, mirrors, picnic table
Mirrors I used in the garden (on the corner and behind the lemon tree), and the succulents.
A few weeks ago there was a Garage No-Sale and I picked up this beauty which I intend to paint.


Last week I put my name down for this sideboard, also to be painted.  
Only two people showed interest, and the other couldn't arrange pickup. The owner, an elderly lady who is also selling up and moving to a retirement village wanted it collected soon.



Two days later I arrived at her place (just 500mt away) with a measuring tape and realized it wouldn't fit in my husband's 4 wheel drive. I returned home to get our old trailer, that gets more use by friends than from us.

Now, I'd never driven with a trailer, but tried my best to attach the trailer over the ball in the car. As soon as I drove out of the driveway and turned right, the trailer just carried on straight to the kerb on the other side of the street. Luckily I live in a very quiet street with just local traffic.
I jumped out of the car and pulled the trailer up to the car and realized I hadn't locked the trailer ball previously.
When I reached the lady's house on a cul-de-sac I tried to unsuccessfully reverse the trailer into the driveway, quite a few times.

A guy across the road who had just arrived from work saw my predicament and offered to do it for me. It still took him about 3 or 4 tries before he got it right.
I thanked him and decided to be bold and ask if he would help me lift the sideboard onto the trailer. I had taken 2 moving trolleys to be able to do it myself, but it would be easier to get help of course. The unit was heavy, but I removed the drawers and shelves to make it easier.
When it was on top of the trailer I thanked him and promised to be back with a carton of beer.

Now, how would I drive backwards into my long driveway again? And how to get the sideboard so I could store the trailer?  (Remember my husband is away and my son would only be able to come and help 4 or 5 days later).
I drove forward, put the two trolleys below the trailer, and slowly pulled the unit down and wheeled it into the garage. I unhooked the trailer and pushed it into its place and drove the car into the garage.
Phew!! What a job, all for a pretty piece of furniture.
And my helper? After all done, I drove to the Bottle Store, bought a carton of beer and dropped the beers by the door with a little thank you note. He deserved them!

Now, what do you think of my acquisitions?
Of course with anything that is free, we have to be careful and not just take everything that is available, because otherwise instead of clearing the clutter we are collecting more clutter.

I've also met a couple of lovely ladies, and the other day I even recognized one in the supermarket and chatted to her.
So I'm thankful for being part of this small community that not only gifts things, but there's also an emphasis on offering your knowledge or time to teach others or help others in the community.


35 comments:

  1. That was a lot of work, but you got your piece of furniture home. Good for you. You did far better than I would have.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandee, have a lovely week too.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Sami,
    Wow, those are two lovely pieces and no doubt, the elderly lady was glad for getting rid of it before moving to the retirement village!
    Oh, I've driven such a trailer early on in the 70s, the one from my then Father-in-law and managed very well. Felt proud he trusted me with that in order to transport an oak bed!
    We have a little one and I've driven that to the harbor of Savannah for hauling some furniture back that we'd shipped over from The Netherlands. But backing up is not the thing to do with them... you have to know a few tricks. Pieter has hauled all the construction material with it, for building our downstairs Rose Suite himself. Now, rarely some soil for the garden gets hauled with it but it is most of the time idle.
    The worst trip ever was with our patio lounge (aluminum) on top of our then Toyota RAV-4's roof. Good grief what a noise the plastic wrapping made! Had to drive a good two hours...
    But anything that gets passed on to the next user is a worthwhile thing and it avoids things from getting trashed.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our trailer was used a lot when we were remodeling our house and garden, but now gets more use by friends that borrow it. Thanks Mariette :)

      Delete
  3. Very thoughtful, Sami. I think things are changing to less THINGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes people want to have less and less stuff nowadays.

      Delete
  4. I love the sideboard. And how kind of you to give such nice things away. I usually put stuff at the end of my driveway with a free sign and it is gone within a few hours. I need to do a lot more decluttering though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I too have a house full of stuff I don't use and now I have a way to give things away. We get a bi-annual collection by the local Councils when people put things out on the verges, but before the council collects a bunch of people drive by looking for things they can recycle, use and even sell.

      Delete
  5. This is amazing, Sami! I love your tenacity. We have something similar here. Plus if we take something up our local lixo bins and leave it to one side it always disappears. I have collected so many goodies from our bins I call myself a womble :)
    (wombles of Wimbledon common was a kids TV program)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole. I've often said that in my old age I'll probably drive around the suburbs picking up nice pieces of furniture and upcycle them to sell, as there are so many beautiful things that get thrown out :)

      Delete
  6. A very worthwhile community effort and kudos to you for joining. I hope this is the way of the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to find something like this David, there's always someone who might need what you no longer need.

      Delete
  7. what a lovely idea! and I love all your acquisitions! You had to be very resourceful and you made it! I cannot imagine how to drive with a trailer. I love the idea of communities pulling together. I volunteer at our church op shop and while we do get some things that have to be put straight into the bin, it is amazing what manages to find a new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to volunteer Gill. I'm a big fan of op shops too, I collect Pirex dishes and I'm always on the lookout for them.

      Delete
  8. Sami you NEVER cease to amaze me, your determination to get things done is astounding! I love your two new pieces of furniture, can't wait to see how they look when you've worked your magic on them. It's about time we caught up again and exchanged news xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace :) Can't wait to paint them, just been very busy with extra hours/days at work as I have 2 colleagues away. Will contact you in a couple of weeks when they return.

      Delete
  9. O que para uns são velharias podem ser belos objectos decorativos para outros.
    Mas o conceito não é fácil de implementar...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here we wait for no-rainy days and simply put our stuff in a box and attach a sign that it´s for free.
    Sadly I´ve seen a "collector" who obviously sells it, so I have to find a different way, too!
    Books go to a "phone booth" for students to take.
    I´ll check if we have an online-group but I hate the hassle of dealing with postage/packing...

    And I do not think I´d drive with a trailer.
    I haven´t driven a car in over 1 1/2 years - yet my license allows me to drive a truck of 7 tons, isn´t that crazy!!!

    Oh, so nice of that man to help you like that! And of you to do all that for the lady!

    Little communities are very good to live in.
    And being grateful is always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have the bi-annual verge collection when the local council picks our stuff from the verge. A lot of people drive around then looking for good furniture or other things they can salvage and sell or use, which is also good as well.

      Delete
  11. Uma bela ideia minha amiga, gostei.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, my name is Dr. E, Queen of Free. I love the idea of getting rid of your junk to people who can really use it. I wish we had that in our neighborhood. My only problem is, I'm a glutton for art supplies. You did good with very little help. Color me impressed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Maybe you can start a movement in your area :) I'm just waiting for some free time to start painting.

      Delete
  13. I think Jose will be quite proud of what you achieved. Always in context, but how nice to have the help and kindness of strangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proud but upset that I'm damaging my back by handling heavy furniture :) It was lovely to have had some help.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful, wonderful idea! I would so love to see if this is going on in Melbourne when I get back. Well done you on your never say die attitude! Of course the final part of this story is to take a picture of your new renovated side board to bring a smile to the lady in her retirement home! Oh the stories that sideboard could probably tell! Enjoy :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great idea Wren. The drawers were covered with newspapers from 1960!

      Delete
  15. Loved your adventure with the trailer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Revrunner :) and adventure indeed.

      Delete
  16. You found some really wonderful things. I especially love the coat tree.

    I always try to give away to people first, then divide it up between charity if it is decent enough (doesn't have to be great but it has to be good enough to sell, and clean) or the trash. It's a never-ending process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. You have a nice way to divide your unwanted possessions.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.