COLOURFULWORLD

Tuesday 13 February 2024

Byford sculpture trail & Signs

When we returned home from our camping trip to Serpentine Falls we travelled via Byford to check out the Byford Sculpture Trail.

In March 2009 the Dwellingup (a small town 1h south of Perth) born artist Len Zuks won the People's Choice Award at the Sculptures by the Sea exhibition. He was then commissioned to create a series of sculptures as an ode to the history of the town of Byford.

This artist renowned for his motto "Ridiculous is king", has exhibited in the Louvre in Paris, at the Venice Biennale and at the London Olympics Art exhibition.

The Byford sculptures are scattered over a 6,2km trail amongst local cafes and shops, finishing in the town centre with the Boxing Kangaroo sculpture.

I didn't photograph all of them, just the few in the town centre.

The Horse and Jockey is a tribute to Byford's 1919 Perth Cup champion Rivose. The plinth includes original bricks from the State Brickworks.

   

                

The Child Health Sister is dedicated to Sister Wossley, who looked after the local Byford children in the 1940's.

The Returned Serviceman honours the men who returned from the war to live and work in Byford.

And remember the owl sculpture by the library in one of my January posts

It was also one of Len Zuks' works.

Reading owl at the Melville library


A couple of number plates seen in January. For other signs from around the world check Tom's blog.

Happy Valentine's Day 💓💓



Rogue MG


Lexus


Road Runner







21 comments:

  1. Love the art and the license plates. I love that owl.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that owl. Here in US license plates like that are called vanity plates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see the sculptures in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are very good, aren't they, clearly sculpted by a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sculptures and I hope to finish my book on owls!
    Love the last number plate! :-) I grew up with the comics on telly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the Road runner :) Thanks Iris.

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    I love all the sculptures, especially the owl. The license plates are a great collection, RoadRuna is my favorite. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Sami, I love the sculptures, but the PIGFARMER plate cracks me up. Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pigfarmer is a fun number plate. Thanks Tom

      Delete
  8. The sculptures are greaet. I especially love the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sculptures are great, Sami.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are great sculptures.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sculptures are great.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.