COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 21 February 2024

January Wrap-up and Signs

For other signs from around the world please check Tom's signs.

Monday 1st - We returned home from our camping trip to Serpentine Falls, drove via Byford to check the Sculpture trail.

Thursday 11th - on a 38C (104F) we celebrated our 17th anniversary of our arrival in Perth with dinner at our favourite Japanese restaurant - Yuki.


Saturday 13th - we had lunch at the house of friends in Hillary's. It was a very hot 41C (105.8F), so we waited for the the late afternoon and walked to the nearby dog beach with their very well-behaved dog. It was so much fun to watch all the dogs either interacting or otherwise doing their own thing - swimming, playing with balls or sticks...



Saturday 20th - A group of Portuguese people organized a simple dinner and show at the Fremantle Park Club to try and bring more cultural events to the Portuguese community. The was a small plate of Pasta Carbonara included in the $25 entry price, but you could buy more food. We listened to Portuguese singer Catarina Viegas. A very good singer, who sings both in Portuguese and English.


Sunday 21st - Met up with Rita, a friend visiting from the Gold Coast at Gage Roads Brewery in Fremantle. The brewery was celebrating their 2nd anniversary that weekend. After sunset we watched a group of drummers and dancers parading by the riverside.

              



Tuesday 23rd - a friend brought me a desk she no longer wanted, for me to paint. I started by cleaning and sanding it, filled up all the small holes in the top. I started by painting it off-white, but found it too stark, and then changed to dark blue.

It's almost finished, I need to still fix up the chair that has a sagging seat and fix the drawers.



Thursday 25th - took the train to Subiaco to have dinner with my friend Wendy at the Subiaco Hotel. I had fish and chips (no photo)

Found a couple of murals, including the one I posted on Monday

Signs at the Ladies

            

And here is a real red-tailed black cockatoo that was in one of our trees in the backyard. Photo taken with mobile, so not too good.


Friday 26th - I don't work Fridays, but it was a public holiday so Jose was home,  and I spent the day decluterring and giving things away on Buy Nothing Group.

I've decided that every weekend I'll give away a few things that I no longer use, as we need to slowly start to downsize.


Wednesday 31st -  we had another heat wave in the last days of January - with 41C (105.8F) in the last day of January when kids were returning to school!.

         

Weather Preview - Saturday 26th Jan to Friday 2nd Feb

I painted another bedside table.







Our mango tree fruited well this year with about 40 mangoes! A lot of them fell on the grass due to the heat and got a bit bruised, but we still ate them. The smell in the kitchen was amazing!
Sadly the extreme heat has been bad for our fig tree. I managed to pick about 2kgs of figs in the beginning of January, made a few jars of jam, but since then, they have been dropping off and getting burned to a crisp!  


And I will leave you with another photo of my magpies :) They always bring a smile to my face, especially when they come close to the front door to ask for food, or when I see them crossing the street, or flying from the park across the road to my house when they see me come from work. So sweet 🐦
They know I treat them well, and always put out water for the birds so they don't suffer with the heat.




Signs at the main Perth Underground train station, which show the various rail and road projects going on in the city. I took the photo as Jose has worked on the Bayswater rail project and is now working on the Yanchep project.




20 comments:

  1. ...Sami, I love summer, but your summer is too hot for me! Thanks for stopping by, stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no one can remember such a hot Summer with so many heat waves. Thanks for hosting Tom.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful month in review and I love all the food. Wow. My stomach is growling.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week, Sami. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from the heat, it was a pleasant month for you.
    It must have been exciting to see the cockatoo in your garden.
    The last piece of furniture is a bit different.
    Decluttering? Downsizing? Is an announcement imminent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I who likes the heat have found it to be too much this year Andrew . The bedside table was an oldie. Just thinking of options to simplify our lives in 2 or 3 years time. Either sell our big house and buy a smaller unit or demolish and subdivide the land, sell one side, build a smaller house for us on the other side, so no maitenance issues in our old age.

      Delete
  4. Permita-me destacar a mensagem em Carpet Cord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uma mensagem de positividade. Obrigada Pedro

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    I am looking forward to the warmer weather here. Great collection of signs. Your food all looks delicious! I would love to see the Cockatoo and the Magpies. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. Cockatoos and magpies are lovely birds :)

      Delete

  6. How come I missed this? I blame it on Uroppa, my very old Lenovo! (no, my bad!)
    17 years! Only?
    Hmmmm, Pasta Carbonara!
    Wow to the formerly ugly table - you did a fantastic job!
    To the good! 40 mangoes is a start! And to magpies! Atm the ravens have another discussion here...
    HA! Today I can take pics as well as I leave Mr. Hectic at home ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris. Hope you're feeling much better.

      Delete
  7. When you focus on the good, the good increases! Happy anniversary to you dear. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great quote isn't it. Thanks Cloudia

      Delete
  8. Love your furniture painting. Your desk looks similar to an old one I have in my shed which isn't in such good condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you River. This one had a very damaged top, with loads of holes, hence it had to be painted. The legs were in good shape.

      Delete
  9. Goodness! It's been so hot!

    Your furniture painting looks very good.
    I enjoyed seeing your magpies, we have quite a few who visit the garden.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. So nice that you also get magpies visiting your garden :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.