COLOURFULWORLD

Tuesday 27 November 2018

Open House Perth 2018 (part I)

November is always a busy month for me -  friend's birthdays, Open House Perth, Christmas lights trail in the city, Christmas events to plan, people to invite, a Christmas work function to attend, presents to buy or make, coffee dates with friends who I won't see again until next year, my grandson's birthday...
This year there's still a trip to the Philippines between the 8th and 22nd December,  which will shorten my time to do things...


OPEN HOUSE PERTH - Sat. 10th
KINGS PARK

Open House is an exciting weekend with thousands of  people darting from one end of the city to the other for an unique opportunity to visit some of Western Australia's best buildings, see behind the scenes of certain monuments and to visit architect designed private homes. This year with about 100 venues open, the choice of visits was quite difficult. 

On Saturday I started with a visit to Kings Park, not part of Open House, but just because it was the day before Armistice Day and I wanted to see the red poppies display.


I always feel so lucky to live in Perth when I admire the views of the city from Kings Park.
But I was sad to see that 90% of the people I came across were walking while looking at their phones, or sitting down looking at their phones, or even "talking" to others while they looked at their phones...

Why can't people leave their phones alone for a short while and enjoy the views and a face to face chat? And it wasn't just young people, some were older than me!


City views from Kings Park, people walking, sitting but always on their mobile phones



Poppies for Armistice Day on 11th Nov




Some of the Spring flowers still blooming


















QT HOTEL - SANTINI RESTAURANT & ROOFTOP BAR

Then followed a visit to my first Open House venue - QT Hotel, at 133 Murray street.
The luxurious, 18 storey designer hotel in the centre of Perth City, opened in August and appears to be the new in thing in Perth. 
It has 185 bedrooms with luxurious bathrooms, and the art displayed and the decor of the hotel rooms are all linked to Western Australian fauna and flora and its colours. 
My favourite room was the Yellow room with the black cockatoo wall paper.


Bedrooms, art, bathroom and mini-bar in each room - the yellow room with the cockatoo wallpaper (top right)




On the first floor we visited the Italian Santini Restaurant and on the 18th floor the piece de resistance was the rooftop bar, with an indoor area for 110 people and outdoor area for 90 people, with views to the Swan river.

Back panel in lift, the dining room (top), the first floor bar, foyer, corredor with earth colour murals (bottom)
Rooftop bar, indoor and outdoor area, the QT hotel building
HADIQA RESTAURANT

Next was the Hadiqa restaurant, and here they had a limited time slot for visits, so I was on time.
This Morocco inspired oasis which opened in April this year, is located in the newly developed area east of the CBD - Hibernian Place across from the new Westin Hotel.
The lovely and green public square on the corner of Hay and Erwin streets has given the eastern side of the city new life.
The narrow restaurant, long bar and open kitchen seem quite spacious and fresh with a lot of fake greenery hanging from the ceiling and walls, and on the second floor they also have a small rooftop bar.
All visitors were given a sweet mint tea before a short talk by the Hibernian Place coordinator and by the designers of Hadiqa, which means Garden in Arabic.

Hadiqa restaurant with Middle Eastern decor 
Stairs to the rooftop bar and rooftop bar (left), dining area and Moroccan lanterns and decor (right)
Hibernian Place - resting areas, flowers and herbs, green spaces, the Hadiqa restaurant and rooftop bar


ART GALLERY OF Western Australia

My last visit was to the Art Gallery of WA where I visited 2 of the exhibitions on display - 
Sidney Nolan's Ned Kelly series and Beyond Bling.

After the gallery visit I stood for a few minutes enjoying the sounds of Jazz music - part of the International Jazz Festival - being played across from the gallery at the Wetlands outdoor entertainment area.

Jazz Festival, The Art Gallery of WA, statues in the gallery
Ned Kelly series of pictures, other art in the gallery
Beyond Bling exhibition
  Around 4,30pm it was time to take the train home and finish dinner as my son, daughter in law and grandchild would be arriving at 5,30 for an early dinner.
Around the Cultural Centre they have a community garden with flowers and herbs, and anyone can help themselves to some herbs on the way home. The old Perth station is just below and I crossed it to access the newer area on the other side from where my train departed.

Community garden at the Perth Cultural Centre and Perth train station (bottom right)

40 comments:

  1. Esta é outra postagem fabulosa. Bem organizada, bem documentada/registada... Parabéns!!
    Perth tem muito que oferecer aos seus residentes, pelo que vejo por aqui. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Catarina. Quando vim viver para Perth ha quase 12 anos, o centro da cidade ficava vazio depois dos escritorios fecharem e toda a gente se ir embora. De ha uns anos para ca muito tem mudado e agora a cidade esta cheia de gente nos bares e restaurantes e ha imenso para se ver e fazer.

      Delete
  2. The gallery and the poppy shots particularly stand out amongst these.

    The open house concept sounds like the same idea as our Doors Open weekend in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it must be something similar William.

      Delete
    2. Yes, ours is over 100 sites across the city- embassies, churches, fire halls, organizations, historic buildings.

      Delete
  3. anyone can help themselves to some herbs on the way home..... that is the best way for familiarisation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haddock, yes a nice way to meet the locals.

      Delete
  4. So many cities now have these annual events, under different names, where you can explore components of the city you have never experienced before. I am amazed, at least where I live, that more people don’t seize the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here they had 70 thousand visitors to 102 destinations, not bad I think. I find it's such a great way to get to know your city and to discover new things like I did with the Hotel and restaurant above.

      Delete
  5. There are so many fun things to do and attend. Excellent.

    Have a fabulous day, Sami. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lots to do Sandee, wish I had more time to see all I had wanted to see.

      Delete
  6. It's too bad we don't have something like that here in the States. We have days when you can visit five gardens in my neighborhood, but you have to pay $10.00 (USD) for a ticket. Seems I can drive around and see most of it for free. You have a much better deal.

    I was especially impressed with the poppies (always love seeing those) and the art gallery. That was a LOT of bling, too!

    I also wish we had a community garden that would allow us access to herbs I can't seem to grow, or that die before I ever get them in the ground. You live in a much more civilized place than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be an "Open garden" scheme here when certain people had their gardens opened on a roster and you donated something for charity, but it seems to have ended.
      Community gardens are quite popular in Australia, in all big cities there are gardens where residents of that area can cultivate stuff and share the veggies and herbs, or even street gardens where you can pick herbs on the way home.

      Delete
  7. Goodness! you have had a busy month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not finished yet, there's more to come Carole, lol.

      Delete
  8. The walk is just beautiful....the views, the summer flowers ....and all your indoor activities ...it does sound like a perfect city with the mix of outdoor and culture and art. I share your feelings about people and phones, especially out in nature. Or those who converse loudly on nature paths. Why don’t they just stay home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, Perth has a good mix of things to do.

      Delete
  9. The hotel looks brilliant and no doubt is out of our league. I don't what will happen in the future with phones. Will society reach some kind of breaking point with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medium price for the rooms are about $250 per night Andrew. I have no idea about the phones either, but it seems most people can't leave them alone for 5 minutes, they have to be up to date on everything that is happening!

      Delete
  10. Esse sol e essa luz, em profundo contraste com o cinzentão aqui, dão inveja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felizmente aqui nao temos muito tempo cinzento Pedro.

      Delete
  11. Wow, 100 houses in just one weekend is impossible!
    Why not doing this twice a year or on a monthly basis?

    Oh, I so agree, I´m so fed up with all those people glued to their phone, nearly bumping in others or things. And yes, all ages here, too!
    Guess it must hurt in the neck and is not healthy...
    Awww... I love poppies!
    The Hadiqa is beautiful with all the green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, impossible to see it all, but it's a big thing to organize and the owners have to be available to open up their house, there's lots of volunteers to stand around, to guide people, etc, etc, so I don't think they could do it monthly. You just have to pick a few and see those. Over the last 3 years I've done quite a few of the monuments, that's why this year I mostly concentrated on private houses (on next post).

      Delete
  12. You are a busy bee, so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gostei de ver estas belas fotografias minha amiga.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco, boa semana para si tambem.

      Delete
  14. You have the energy of two people Sami! Enjoyed this post so much, Perth really is a beautiful city with so much to offer. Aimee went off for a day in Fremantle last weekend unknowingly with my mobile in her car, once I knew it wasn't lost, I thoroughly enjoyed not having it for the day, so peaceful 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perth is beautiful and I agree it has so much to see and do.
      Among my work colleagues I'm the only one who doesn't have the phone by me as I work, it stays in my bag at the back and I'll look at it before leaving work to see if anyone called me. My colleagues are always connected...:(

      Delete
  15. Definitely a busy month, Sami! :) I love these kind of open events. Looks like you made the most of it. Have you been to the Philippines before? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, it will be our first visit, our daughter and partner are working there now.

      Delete
  16. Yes... bezige bij (busy bee). Love to see the poppies and the Hadiqa restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a brilliant day out and a lovely way to explore some new buildings in Perth. You have done a great job with your photos to show us so many of the Open Houses. It looks a fabulous city, I am well overdue a visit for sure. I was really impressed with the poppies.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wren. I'm sure you would enjoy Perth too.

      Delete
  18. Dearest Sami,
    It sounds like you are running out of hours for 2018, just like both of us... So much to do and the time is racing on; pushing us along.
    This was very interesting to see such new and very varied developments.
    The fresh herb garden plucking on your way out was a kind gesture too.
    Enjoy your spring time.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.