COLOURFULWORLD

Friday 2 November 2018

Sydney - Day 3 - Visiting Sculpture by the Sea in Bondi

When researching what I could do in Sydney during my recent visit, I read that Sculpture by the Sea would be in Bondi Beach from the 18th October to the 4th November. 

So on Monday 22nd after my husband left for work I walked 20 min to a bus stop where I would catch the M40, a direct bus to Bondi station via the city. There I caught another bus for the 15 min ride to the beach.

After taking some photos at the famous Bondi beach I walked to Hunter Park from where I started exploring the Sculpture by the Sea exhibits

On it's 22nd year, this year it started on the 18th October and will end this weekend 4th November, extending from Bondi to Tamarara Beach, a 2km long, free coastal sculpture park with over 100 sculptures from Australia and around the world, bringing in half a million visitors to the area.

Some of the styles looked familiar from previous exhibitions, some sculptures were very impressive, others just very plain... Overall I loved the leisurely walk on a warm day, admiring the views as well as the art.

Even though here they have a nicer background setting, than when they are exhibited at Cottesloe Beach in Perth, our exhibition is more wheelchair accessible with ramps on the flat beach. In Bondi, a few of  the big exhibits were in a flat area accessible to all, but the ones on the walk by the sea, with steps up and down wouldn't be accessible to all.

Bondi Beach, a lifeguard tower, Lifesaver sculpture





Views on the walk



The tiny life-surfers sculpture honours the Black Sunday tragedy at Bondi in 1938, when freak waves washed swimmers to sea, and lifesavers saved saved hundreds. In the end 5 people died in this tragedy.

Views from the walk from Bondi to Tamarara beach. Lifesavers sculpture honouring Black Sunday, Waverley cemetery in the distance (with sea views)



Bondi Beach and sea pools































































Apparently 1/4 of the sculptures get sold every year, some to private art collectors, but most  are acquired by municipalities for public display, and I was pleased to find out that Western Australian municipalities are the biggest buyers. 
After Bondi some of the exhibits will come to Cottesloe Beach (Perth) in March 2019, so I look forward to seeing which ones make it.  But some of the exhibits I saw there I had already seen in Cottesloe this March, some I presume it could be local artists who first exhibit in Perth and then show the art in Sydney later in the year...

I walked back to Bondi beach after my visit and boarded the bus back into the city and got off in Elizabeth Street, across from Hyde Park, close to where my husband works.
But that's a story for another post...

Bondi to Tamarara coastal Sculpture walk

23 comments:

  1. These ones are fun- and in one case, quite poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post except for the 5 people that died in 1938.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second collection of photos has some interesting sculptures, with the white man, the strange orange thing and a weird and wonderful machine for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, some were great, other a bit strange. I like that white man too :)

      Delete
  4. Some very impressive pieces of art.
    So sad we´ll miss the event in Cottesloe, it was "always" great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great event, great for a couple of days at the beach.

      Delete
  5. What an incredible assortment of work to see! And a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love those sculptures on the beach, and this set from Sydney didn't disappoint. Of course, I didn't have to do the walking, either. Thanks for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, I certainly walked a lot to see most of the sculptures.

      Delete
  7. Lots of weird and wonderful sculptures here Sami, I'm looking forward to seeing them on Cottesloe Beach.. I don't recognise any of them though. You did a heck of a lot of walking on that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, I didn't put photos of the few that I had already seen in Cottesloe. Have a nice weekend :)

      Delete
  8. Dearest Sami,
    Amazing that the Sydney region has a Brooklyn and now I also read about your Hyde Park there, just like New York City in the USA.
    That Mud-man looks quite impressive and there are so many different styles, heights and sizes that it is hard to capture it all on camera. Being there in person must be the best way to enjoy them; provided one can walk very well without any handicap.
    It draws a lot of visitors to the region which is good. Yeah, I bet it made you beam with pride to learn that most sculptures are going to West Australia!
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette, I suppose a lot of names of places in Australia were given by the immigrants, so they would be named after towns in their own countries. We also have a Hyde Park in Perth, but much smaller than the one in Sydney.
      There were so many people around the statues that it was hard to capture most of them on their own.

      Delete
    2. Dearest Sami,
      You are like me, I don't like any people masses in my photos... For that I would not have to go far! But I love to capture the subject 'purely' on its own, what we came for!
      Hugs,
      Mariette

      Delete
  9. Lovely to see the blue skies as well as the sculptures.

    All the best Jan

    PS Happy November Wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, the blue skies do make a difference for sure :)

      Delete
  10. Oh Sami, all that glorious blue! I want to transportmyself there this second. It is cold and rainy today, that gray-white sky, the kind of day (ok, the past four days) where you wonder if you'll ever see the sun again. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, a blue sky makes all the difference to our well being I think...

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.