COLOURFULWORLD

Sunday 8 February 2015

Rest in Peace Baby cat

Sadly, our cat "Baby" lost her battle with Bile duct cancer early this morning at 4,25AM.
Baby in her last hours


Her problems started in September 2014 when she stopped eating. She slowly recovered and had a relapse in December. Again she seemed to recover with a lot of love and magic potions.
The internet is an amazing source of information - some good, some bad or dubious. But I tried all sorts of things - wheat grass powder in water, Maple syrup with Bicarbonate of Soda, Vitamin C, Carrot and beetroot juice, plus all the homeopathic drops - she seemed to actually be improving at one stage, eating well, livelier. Then she disappeared for over 2 days, and returned home dehydrated and wouldn't eat.
On Jan 10th she went into the Vet hospital for 2 days for hydration, plus I was convinced to allow them to do a scan and biopsy to confirm what her problem was.
A few days after she returned home, a lump started growing on her belly and her condition seemed to deteriorate. Some days she would eat, other days she wouldn't. These last 2 days she was eating like a wolf but could hardly stand up for long periods...

Last night I took her to my bedroom and lay her on a bench at the foot of the bed, but I could feel she wasn't resting. A couple of hours later I heard strange noises and switched on the light to see her having fits. I woke up my husband and we drove to Murdoch Vet Hospital where I asked she be put to sleep as soon as possible. While we filled in an admission form, Baby was taken inside and they put a catheter on her. Then they took us to the "Grieving room", a small dimmed lit room beautifully decorated with photos of cats and dogs with their names,  presumably sent in by their thankful owners.

We sat down and a Vet brought Baby in for me to hold and spend some time with, but I could see she was struggling and I asked him to give her the injection soonest. He did it and had to get a refill as she was still breathing. A minute later she was gone...
I held her for a few minutes and then handed her to the Vet for cremation.

I will miss her company on my desk, she loved lying near me usually putting her head on the keyboard as I typed away...loved getting into boxes and confined spaces, like all cats do!


My computer mate

She was quiet, except when she hear the sound of a tin being opened, then she would be in the kitchen in a flash miawing until she got fed. She was a bit of a loner, not mixing with the other cats, but she loved human company, loved having her fur brushed while she rolled from side to side...

I'm sorry I should have let you go earlier, but I thought I could beat this scourge!
Rest in Peace, we will miss you!
Fluffy and Twiggy were a bit tonight, smelling the place where you were last, looking for you...
Mommy, Baby (in front) with 5 of the 8 kittens they had





22 comments:

  1. It's always difficult when it's time to say goodbye to our beloved pets. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Sami, it's the hardest thing to have to say goodby to our loved furry friends, big hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace for your message and your call this morning.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Sami!! Mas que pena! Tão querida, a gatinha!! Estes momentos são sempre muito dolorosos. A Sami fez tudo o que podia e estava ao seu alcance e a Baby sabia e sentia todo esse carinho, tenho a certeza. Um grande beijinho para si e força para todos aí em casa. Forte abraço.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Sandra, pois tentei o meu melhor...

      Delete
  4. Awwwww....my heart goes out to you. I have had cats all my life (I am 58 years young) and I have had my share of losses as well, so I know your pain. You photos are gorgeous, beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I've also had lots of cats growing up. Baby was a very pretty cat!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Baby. You gave her everything you could and it's heartbreaking to hear Baby didn't make it. Wishing you all strength to get through this tough time, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. I have been where you are now and it is painful. Baby would want you to focus on the good times, and the safety and security you gave her unconditionally.
    I am someone who believes that someday we will reunite with our pets in heaven. Whether or not that is true, Baby is at peace now, free of pain. Thank you for what you did for her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so sorry to hear that Sami, it did seem as though she rallied for a while. I love that photo of her draped over the keyboard! There is nothing like a cat to distract you from doing your planned activities is there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill, she loved keeping me company on my desk, usually lying her head on the keyboard.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss, Sami but it was her time. I'm sorry she had to suffer at all. It's one of the hardest things to do to make that decision but it is our responsibility as cat parents. Keep remembering all the wonderful things she gave to you and all you shared with her. It's such a privilege to have that wonderful pet relationship.Enjoy your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so sorry to hear this. Pets truly are part of the family. Rest in peace, Baby Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sami I'm very sorry to hear this, its so hard to lose a treasured friend, but it looks like you gave her a lovely life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee. Fortunately all my cats are quite pampered!

      Delete
  11. Lamento imenso pela Baby. É sempre tão triste perder um amigo de quatro patas. Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sami, I have enjoyed catching back with all your posts and had to linger here to send you a message. This is such a lovely tribute to Baby, great photos, You can see why she was so special.
    Hugs to you all
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.