COLOURFULWORLD

Thursday 23 August 2018

Personalised Number Plates IV and Revamping

I was just going to post some number plates when I saw that a couple of number plates would actually suit a post I wanted to write next week...so  here it goes 👍

When I'm alone long enough (with hubby working away) I tend to get bored and decorate - paint walls, move furniture around...



This time, about two weeks ago I decided I would revamp my study. 
The beige Ikea Billy shelves weren't doing it for me, they were too narrow for a lot of my books and files and it was looking too messy!
We had one Metod kitchen high unit with doors in the spare bedroom which I moved to the study, so off I went to Ikea, ordered 3 more 35cm deep units and had them delivered. 
I assembled them all on my own, put them up against the wall and put the books and files back.  
I admire people who have an immaculate study with a small desk and a set of shelves, where do they store all their paper? We both seem to be paper magnets, and as for books, oh yes I could open a library!!


The new look shelving units - they still need a bit of tweaking later on



I decided to give some books away, throw out a lot of the magazines that I hoard - Better Homes & Gardens and the monthly Women's Weekly, the more recent ones were taken to the Clinic where I work, and every night while I sit in front of the TV I've been going through a lot of the paperwork and throwing out very old stuff.
I recovered some money by selling the Billy units, plus a few odds and ends I no longer needed.





Not happy with that mammoth job I also thought I needed to replace two low shelving units I had in my bedroom with our mostly my shoes!!  I blame my shoe fetish on the fact that I worked as a sales assistant in an upmarket shoe shop in my teenage years when I lived in Johannesburg. 
Luckily I don't buy expensive shoes, but after disposing of a few uncomfortable shoes I'm left with about 30 pairs. Now instead of the low shelves I bought a ceiling high 35cm deep Komplement Ikea wardrobe unit, assembled it, had a massive fight with the brick wall as I had to anchor the unit to the wall but was having trouble drilling holes into the brick wall...
A Youtube video and a lot of persistence and sweat and I managed to drill the two holes and the unit is now nicely anchored.

Unfortunately the shoes are still piled up on a corner of the bedroom as the shelves were out of stock.  Ikea has in the meantime advised me that the shelves are coming from the Eastern States and will be delivered to me by Australia post!  


Awaiting the shoe shelves
I hope to have the revamp totally ready by the 7th of September when Jose arrives for his  60th birthday celebration on the 8th.  The revamp will be a surprise to him 😁😁, although I know I'll get reprimanded for doing all this alone with the risk of hurting my back.



So I have been 2 busy as you can imagine 😁.


For other personalised number plates check the following posts:

https://sami-colourfulworld.blogspot.com/2016/04/personalised-number-plates-i.html
https://sami-colourfulworld.blogspot.com/2016/04/personalised-number-plates-ii.html
https://sami-colourfulworld.blogspot.com/2016/05/personalised-number-plates-iii.html


33 comments:

  1. You know how much it costs to have a personalized plate in Macau?
    One million patacas (120 000 US dollars more or less).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good golly!! You have to be a millionaire for that. Here they cost about 500$ if I'm not mistaken, and you can choose to have a funny word, your name, name of your sports club, name of your company, etc.

      Delete
  2. Here in my state, a personalized license plate is and I quote the Kansas DMV: The fee for any personalized plate is $45.50. The fee is paid when original application for the personalized plate is made. The Personalized Plate fee will not be due again for 5 years; until the personalized plate is reissued. This fee is in addition to standard fees due at the time of registration.

    Standard fees depend on size of car, but are around $30.00 (USD) for most cars.

    I'm laughing at your shoes. My friend Sally has over 400 pairs of shoes. I know because I helped her sort them and get them into correct pairs one weekend. I'm impressed with your assembling skills. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no Imelda Marcos yet, I "only" have about 40 pairs.
      I'm a master Ikea assembler already Elizabeth! When we bought our house we renovated it ourselves and I assembled all our kitchen units which my husband and son then hung on the walls.
      Our licence fees are a lot higher here, depends on the engine power and year of the car.

      Delete
  3. The last plate fits you. You made a wondeful job, but yes, be careful, you are doing way too much on your own.
    Good morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. I get these fits of energy once in a while and decide to do the strangest things lol.

      Delete
  4. And it looks great, by the way! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Imelda, I am so pleased to learn that you dealt with your shoes and reduced the number. My partner is terrified by where you worked, in J'Burg where we will stay for one night at the airport hotel. I have three pairs of shoes. We had Billy shelving. We gave them to Sister who immediately filled them with books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I only reduced them by about 5 or 6 pairs, but as I said to Elizabeth I only have about 40 pairs, lol.
      I haven't been to Joburg in 20 years, but my younger sister and one of my husband's brother still live there. I suppose the airport hotel would be quite safe.

      Delete
  6. Tem estado muito ocupada! E o resultado vê-se?
    Clap clap. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I find lots of these plates on Maui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice Tom, they seem to be very popular in Perth. I have about 400 photos of number plates taken here just in the last 3 years.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Seria uma maneira do governo fazer dinheiro, eles e que ainda nao pensarem nisso :) Obrigada Francisco.

      Delete
  9. It would probably help to just have three pairs of shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would William, I wouldn't need a cupboard for them, but a girl has to have some weaknesses :)

      Delete
  10. I'm impressed by your energy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh Sami I am mega impressed with all that.. talk about woman power!! Next time you go to Ikea let me know and I'll meet you there for a cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, sure I'll let you know, it will be soon :)

      Delete
  12. You are a real wonder to do this all on your own! Nobody to hold the wardrobe for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes I didn't even call my son to help out, did it all on my own, it was hard lifting them up after they were assembled, but I managed it without hurting my back :) Have a nice weekend Marianne.

      Delete
  13. Great post, Sami, wow you really do a lot (30 pairs of shoes, LOL)!
    When we were still having a weekend-realtionship I used to be way more independent, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've become more independent in the last 10 years or so, I have to otherwise I'll be waiting forever for certain things to be done, lol.

      Delete
  14. You sure have been busy and I admire your skills. I am hopeless at doing stuff like that. I can never put Ikea stuff together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. My dad was always doing things around the house so I learned some skills from him. With ikea it takes practice I think, I can now put a flat together in about half an hour.

      Delete
  15. Your post make me laugh but I can totally see myself doing the same. It’s nice to have a project and it’s even better to be surrounded by loads of books :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, well done for doing this all on your own!
    I applaud you.

    But do please be careful!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dearest Sami,
    You are a clever and persistent lady! Love the shelving and also your new unit for your adopted shoes. Guess we can shake hands here. Even though since I've been paralyzed I'm not wearing my heels as much as before. But since I'm feeling great now using my special diet to trigger another gout attack, I'm back to wearing the feminine clothes more + pumps/sandals with heels.
    And I've already thought ahead into the future for using two stacked file cabinets, filled with mainly recipes etc. for storing my hand bags. Taking all the files out of course! What I want to save I will scan for placing on Pinterest. But that is still a 'plan' and not high priority!
    We women are constantly trying to better organize our entire home and that is good.
    Sending you hugs and wishing your José a very happy and special B'day!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.