COLOURFULWORLD

Saturday 24 March 2018

2018 Sculpture by the sea - I

If you follow Grace's on Perth Daily Photo you might have seen a few of the posts she had about this year's Sculpture by the Sea at Perth's Cottesloe Beach.
The event in it's 14th year was expected to attract  220,000 visitors to the beach during the two weeks from the 2nd to the 19th March and had the participation of 76 artists - 28 
West Australians, 15 from interstate and 33 International artists including 12 from Japan. 

I managed to pop by to visit the sculptures on Thursday 15th after work to avoid the crowds on the closing weekend and I've made a few collages of the ones I found most impressive.



Made by Singapore based Australian artist B.Jane Cowie"Swirling Around" is a dome shaped stainless steel structure covered with 999 glass fish that reflected the sunlight beautifully.
She was the winner of the People's Choice Award with the prize of $5000. 




WA artists Rima Zabaneh (from Jordan, lives in Perth) and Australian Berenice Rarig received the Sculpture by the Sea Exhibiting Artist's Award for their innovative zip tie tree sculpture "Ziptide". They used 50 thousand zip ties and the sculpture stands 3mt high and the width of the arms about 3 to 4mt wide.



One of my favourites, "Waiting in the wings" won the Perth artist Denise Pepper $2000 for the Kid's Choice Award.

Other wonderful and quirky sculptures abounded on the large stretch of sand and on the pier.



"Damien Hirst looking for sharks" by Danger Dave (Portugal) and Christian Ranger (Victoria, Australia) was one of the most popular, a snorkeler looking through his mask half filled with water, made of PVC and nylon.  I'm surprised it didn't win an award.

To the left you can see an artist that was painting it on his small canvas.



"Sunny Moon" by Zadok Ben-David, and Israeli artist based in London.

"Furball" by Lucy Barker was made with discarded electrical cable.
It has been chosen to be part of a permanent exhibition at  Sculpture Encounters at Granite Island, one of South Australia’s national parks, about 80km south of Adelaide.

                                                 
                                                         "Capsule" by Australian (WA) artist Tony Davis

  

                                       "In Rainbows" by Australian artist Duncan Stemler.



British artist by Ivan Black with "Disc Vane" 


Taiwanese artist Naideh Shangmoh with "Welding iron sculptures"


You can also watch this fantastic short video about this year's exhibition:





25 comments:

  1. I can´t decide, I love them all!
    The Asian in the last pic, is he permanent? I think I´ve seen him last time I was there, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not permanent, but there was a similar one last year from the same artist with an upside down man. This year he added the childlike ones. Most artists display a variation of their work, same style.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a fabulous event with amazing talented artists!
    Fantastic but I think the first is my favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I love spending a few hours walking around the beach looking at them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks William, I agree, a lot of talent and imagination.

      Delete
  4. I really like the first one. The third one frames the beach nicely. The last one is funny. It looks like a proper sculpture in the middle, with some really bad works. done by kids, either side of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same about the last sculpture Andrew, maybe his kids drew it and he made it, lol.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the first one, but the one that captured my heart was the one where the artists used zip ties. VERY clever. Your photos were fabulous, and I so appreciate seeing these sculptures by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, yes very clever. I can't imagine how many hours/days it would take to do something like that!

      Delete
  6. What a nice exhibition, such great art pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Marianne. Have a nice weekend.

      Delete
  7. Every single one of these is terrific. I love the fish at the top and the orange windmill against the bright sky -- great photography, Sami! This would be a joy to see in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, I love this time of the year when the Sculptures are on, it's a great day out walking on the beach.

      Delete
  8. Perth has truly fabulous ART!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of those was shown in Sydney last year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, I believe some of them come from Sydney to Perth.

      Delete
  10. Lindas e coloridas imagens Sami. Bom fim de semana.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.