COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Hurray for Bus-Stop libraries

Last year I heard about this initiative that promotes reading by making books more accessible. 
Under the City of South Perth, they have 4 mini libraries set in bus-stops across the suburbs of Como and South Perth and I haven't been able to find out if other councils in Perth have joined this initiative. 
The initiative started on the 6th of January and will run until the 30th of June this year.

The books are donated by library patrons and by book stop users who are invited to "take a book and leave a book", and the bus-stop libraries get replenished weekly by library staff.

Readers can also register books they take at http://www.bookcrossing.com/home so that the books can be tracked from reader to reader thus connecting readers of the same book.

This type of informal libraries initiative is apparently happening in 132 countries around the world. How cool is that?

The bus-stop library shown in these photos is just a block away from my work place in Talbot Avenue, in the suburb of Como
I think I'll have to go through my huge bookshelf at home and get a few books I no longer want and leave them at this bus-stop.

What do you think of this initiative? Have you seen this type of thing in your country?
 





20 comments:

  1. This is an amazing idea. Never heard of it anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. First time I've actually seen it too.

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea, just why not permanent?
    We have our public phone Booth library, I legt many Brooks there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phone booth is great, better for cold and wet countries as the books are more protected.

      Delete
  3. Olha que espectáculo!
    Gostei imenso da ideia e acho muito útil - para se ler um bocadinho, enquanto o bus não chega e não quisermos levar o livro...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nem tinha pensado nisso Sandra, sempre se pode ler um bocadinho.

      Delete
  4. We have something similar in my country, but we don't track our books. Ours are called Little Free Libraries. I have written several posts about the ones in my neighborhood. The idea is similar, but you freely give the book away and someone else is allowed to take it, or as many as they choose. Here is what they can look like and they are in many countries, too:
    https://littlefreelibrary.org/

    Thanks for sharing this concept with us. It is similar, but different from the ones we have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea too Elizabeth, thanks for your post too. Always great to make it easier for people to start reading.

      Delete
  5. We don't have these organized by libraries but some free book stalls in front of houses in the country or cities by the owners, take one and give one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's also a great idea Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter has them in Germany! what an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, nice to know other countries have similar initiatives.

      Delete
  8. I wondered if this would catch on here Sami, I've seen it elsewhere but your little book library is the first I've seen in Perth. It's a good idea, hope it takes off permanently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I have searched on my council's website but no bus-stop libraries where I live, but I have heard that apart from South Perth/Como there's also mini libraries in Victoria Park. Very cool!

      Delete
  9. Dearest Sami,
    Wow, what a meaningful way of recycling books and even improving the quality of riding on a bus! No, I've never ever seen this noble initiative!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette, a great initiative indeed! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the interesting idea. First stop to see turned into a mini library. We only have wifi Миротель(MIROTEL Resort & Spa) Трускавец

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I love reading and I think these kind of initiatives are great. Books should be accessible as much as possible. I have seen a bus stop library once, but I'm not sure where. I think it was in Chile or in Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara, glad there are similar initiatives in other countries. It's really important to get people reading.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.