COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 13 September 2023

Monthly Wrap-Up - August

Joining Tom's Signs. Please check his blog for other signs from around the world.

Tuesday 1st - it was the warmest Winter day this year with 25C  (77F), but the rain would start the following day.

Wednesday 2nd - Jose and I met up with our financial advisor to discuss plans for our retirement in about 2 years time. We were pleasantly surprised with our balance in our superannuation account (Australian private retirement fund), so to celebrate we went to dinner to an Italian restaurant - Casa Delizia in the suburb of Como. Delicious!

Codfish croquettes for starter, lamb rump, chips and veggies, Fish and chips for mains, Cannoli and Tiramisu for dessert

Friday 4th - our new leather electrical recliner sofa was delivered. I changed the layout, took some of my paintings off the wall, and just hung the ones I like most. The colours went from brown to grey, so everything is lighter.


The wood kitchen counter I had ordered for my appliance garage/movable island was installed by Jose, so now I have a longer and slightly wider top and we can have 1 stool on each side.


Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th - Sunny warm weekend and it took advantage of it to do gardening. I had been given a lot of brown plastic pots that I spray painted in blues (you can guess from my decor that turquoise is my favourite colour) so I re-potted some of the plants.


A bee on a flower

Sunday 13th - in the afternoon I went to my friend/neighbour Maria's house and we were joined by a couple more ladies, and Maria taught us how to make fresh pasta, which I then cooked for dinner.


Friday 18th - I drove Maria to the northern suburbs of Perth to go and pick-up  pasta machines she had bought through Marketplace, then we went to a nearby op-shop where we found another machine, and then we had lunch at Ikea. She needed to collect about 10 machines for next month's Past Making Workshop she will be hosting at the Canning Showgrounds for our Community Harvest group.


Sign in the Ikea toilet

Sat and Sund 19th and 20th - Another warm and sunny weekend, which we spent in the garden again - lots of weeding to do.... sometimes I get the feeling we have more weeds than plants, 😃they never stop growing, especially after the Winter rainy season.

Tuesday 22nd - I had a biennial mammogram/breast scan at a radiology next to Hollywood Hospital. On the way home I noticed a long wall of murals, so had to park again to go and take photos.

Wed 23rd - after July's endoscopy I had to do a Barium Swallow test at SKG Radiology at Murdoch Hospital. The test is easy, but the licorice stuff they gave me to swallow while they scan the progress of the stuff down to the stomach is not so pleasant. I really hate licorice!  After the scan I was given a vomit bag, which luckily I didn't need, while I waited for 15 min or so until the radiologist confirmed all was ok.


Murdoch Hospital, modern statue outside the hospital and the radiology room

I saw this sign at the Murdoch hospital

Friday 25th - One of the ladies from our Community Harvest group hosted the Sourdough workshop at the Canning Showgrounds. Sixteen people bought tickets to the workshop and it was quite successful.

Brand new pavilion at the Canning Showgrounds

Engravings on glass door at one of the Canning Showgrounds halls

Sunday 27th - We had lunch at friend's brand new house and I took my Portuguese milk flan.


I made lemon butter from the dozens of lemons from our tree. This year some of the lemons were huge!

1.026kg = 2.261 pounds

Monday 28th - It was time for my 6 monthly dental clean up. My teeth always feel very sensitive for a few days after that, and I can hardly eat or drink anything either too hot or too cold.

Thursday 31st - after a couple of days when Twiggy was hardly eating, we made the hard decision to let Twiggy go. She had lived for 2 1/2 months after her cancer  diagnoses, which the vet thought was remarkable. 

On her last day, she went outside to the backyard and spent time in the sun, looking at the doves coming and going.

I still miss her and keep going to the bedroom to see how she is, or call out her name in greeting when I get home... She would have turned 16 years on the 17th September 😢.





Sign at the vet

Birds in my garden: Magpies and Ibis, magpies coming to my front door "asking for food", (pink and grey) Galahs



18 comments:

  1. Not as busy as some months but still you achieved and were quite social. Three lemons equal a kilo?
    The lounge suite seats look comfortable but the couch seems to have a very deep seat, too far back. Maybe it is ok. Hard to tell in a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. The sofa is very comfortable, it reclines and you can almost sleep there.

      Delete
  2. ...Sami, thanks for sharing your beautiful home. Ikea and the hospital get their message across with humor, that's a good thing. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom. The signs are humorous indeed. Your comment had gone to spam.

      Delete
  3. Yippeeee to retirement (soon)!
    And I love the colors you have.
    LOL, what is it with eating out at IKEA, my ex-teamleader and I did that often, too. Now we just WhatsApp, which is a bit sad.
    Great sign. I would need more than 20 seconds...
    You are the only person I know who hates licorice.
    Yes to kindness. And lemons!
    Dentist. Yes, I know... ahhhh....
    The pics of Twiggy sure made me sad. And I would love to see an Ibis (and hope for Magpies in the Caravan Park).
    Another month sped by...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is not too bad at Ikea, and then you can walk around and "window shop" if you wish. I'm sure you will see lots of magpies at the caravan park. Ibis are not very common in Perth, just in the last 2 years or so did I start seeing them, they must be getting tired of Sydney, lol

      Delete
  4. Sweeet good byes to Twiggy. Your month does sound productive and interesting...and oh, the food! So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice sum up of the busy month. The world is short staffed because no one wants to pay us properly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mistela que nos dão para limpar o aparelho digestivo antes das endoscopias e colonoscopias é intragável.
    Deixar no frigorífico, para ficar muito fresco, foi o truque que me ensinaram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Com a endoscopia, estava sedada nao tomei nada, mas com o "barium swallow" so la me deram a mistela para beber. Obrigada Pedro pela dica.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you William. She would have turned 16 today.

      Delete
  8. Still sorry to read about Twiggy. I bet it won't be long till you get a new kitten or two.

    Lovely new sofa and those lemons are amazing. Love the color of the pots you chose. And you only teased me ONCE with food this month, dear Sami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. She was on my mind the whole day, it would have been her 16th birthday today. I won't be getting a pet for the time being, we are planning to do a bit more travelling and it's always difficult to leave your animals with strangers. Hopefully one day we will adopt some furry friends again.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.