COLOURFULWORLD

Monday 7 March 2022

Monday Mural - Milabirra (Woman kind)

I love murals and street art. If you like murals or have a mural you'd like to post, this meme is for you.  Just follow the Linky steps below.  Once you start looking you will find murals everywhere.  The "Monday Mural" meme goes live on Monday at 12,01AM, Perth,Western Australian time. Be sure to link back to this blog and visit your fellow posters. Looking forward to your mural finds this week.  Thanks, Sami.

Titled Milabirra, this mural was painted for the 2018 Darwin Street Art Festival, by  Melbourne based artist George Rose, and can be found at West Lane in Darwin's city centre.
George Rose is one of Australia’s leading street artists, and she has recently won the 2020 Resene Total Colour Visual Art award, and in 2019 she was awarded the ‘Best Mural’ for the 2019 Street Art Australia Prize.


"Milabirra" - means Woman kind in Larrakia and is a powerful word that attracts good feminine energy. ⁣For this particular wall I really wanted to celebrate the diversity of language spoken by traditional owners of Australia, (Up to 363 languages belonging to an estimated 28 language families and isolates) and pay my respect to the Larrakia Nation. I think language can be such an important connection to identity, culture and history and I think it’s important to make visible the language we have so as not to loose that connection. The wall also features Blue Lotus and Sturt’s Desert Rose, from the Northern Territory.⁣




                        

The mural in the tall building is "Sistergirl" that I posted in October 2021


I was excited to come across 2 murals being painted this week - one in my local shopping centre and the other - a paint by numbers mural by Imogen Palmer (same artist from last week's mural) near Carousel shopping, 10 min drive from me. Sadly I was too well dressed to grab some brushes and paint and participate in the paint by numbers one ... 

I'll keep an eye on them and post about them when finished.


49 comments:

  1. ...a big, bold mural with great meaning. Thanks Sami for sharing and hosting the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Australian flowers at large scale always make murals really impressive, as they do here. Beautiful!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae, the flowers are beautiful indeed :)

      Delete
  3. Looks amazing, great murals.
    Thanks a lot for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This mural is stunning. I can't believe there are so many languages spoken by these families/tribes. I can barely handle English. What a beautiful homage to the Larrakia women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I had no idea there were so many Aboriginal languages either.

      Delete
  5. Loving the flowers, the colours are very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bold Graphics. I like it Sami!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is impressive! It's Women's History Month here and this would be perfect. I like the colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie. It could have been done for Women's day on the 8th.

      Delete
  8. So beautiful. Here is mine which again I can’t link to yours. https://mywanderings.travel.blog/2022/03/07/a-northcote-mural/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. I've entered your link. Strange that you now seem to be the only one not able to enter it.

      Delete
  9. c'est beau toutes ces fleurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Arnaud :) Bonne semaine

      Delete
  10. This is a beautiful mural and it is nice to see that women are admired through such street art. Thanks for sharing these details about the mural and Larrakia Nation as well.
    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so very cool. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patrick. Enjoy the rest of your week too.

      Delete
  12. A sequência toda é FABULOSA.
    Boa semana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bold and beautiful murals. Thank your for hosting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful mural and great background to it. Languages sure are important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more people speak more than 1 language which is great. Thanks Iris

      Delete
  15. I agree with you on the importance of language and it's great to see it being flaunted here. In a beautiful way

    ReplyDelete
  16. There have been times when I have forgotten where I had parked my car. If I parked alongside that mural it would be a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't forget it for sure David :)

      Delete
  17. I learned a lot just from this mural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, glad it was informative as well :)

      Delete
  18. Such a pretty mural in very pleasing colors. I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting post and I love the mural! I remember the one in the background too.
    ~ Linda
    https://webcroft.blogspot.com/2022/03/a-touch-of-spring.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The linkup is not showing itself to me.

      Delete
  20. Sorry, no linky list! https://geriatrixfotogallerie.wordpress.com/2022/03/08/teahouse-in-leer/
    Love your murals as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Traudel, wondering if it's a problem with Linky as even old links on previous mural posts have disappeared, and I can't even log into Linky Tools. Will try later and enter your entry manually.

      Delete
  21. Perfect mural for International Women's Day Sami xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, yes a nice one for Women's day

      Delete
  22. Wonderful and a perfect post for International Women's day week!
    Have a lovely day.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.