COLOURFULWORLD

Wednesday 6 April 2022

March Wrap - Up & Signs

Taking part in Tom's signs - please check this link

Tuesday 1st - We celebrated Shrove Tuesday in our French class. One of the ladies took pancakes and I took strawberries and cream and the teacher provided the tea.


Wednesday 2nd - My birthday - because I didn't get a chance to bake a cake the night before I drove by a nearby Cafe and bought an apple pie to take to work. When I arrived at the Clinic one of my lovely colleagues had baked me a delicious Chocolate cake, Jose and another of my colleagues gave me a bunch of flowers.

Chocolate cake and apple pie
Flowers for my birthday

In the evening Jose took me to dinner at Kailis Fishmarket Cafe in Fremantle for a seafood dinner.

From midnight of the 3rd of March the Western Australian borders were opened to the world!  

Covid had already entered the State, but luckily up to date it hasn't been as bad as predicted.  The State has a very high triple vaccination rate, which could help.

Saturday 5th -  We had invited a few people for dinner at Ambassador Chinese Restaurant to celebrate my birthday, and we had a great evening.  I baked a pineapple cake to take and after our meal we all had a slice.


Sunday 6th
- Jose and I went to Cottesloe beach to visit the 18th Sculpture by the sea, the world's largest free public sculpture exhibition.

This was my favourite sculpture depicted the Indiana Teahouse at Cottesloe beach (see photo below)


Indiana Tea house and NO sculpture

                

The last sculptures were already seen with the sun setting behind them. 

We then got our cooler box from the car and sat down on the grass enjoying a sunset picnic. (no photos of our picnic)


Thursday 10th - I took Shelley to vet, as I noticed she'd suddenly lost a bit of weight and wasn't eating much either. From her last visit a year ago she had actually lost 1kg (2.20lbs) which is a lot for a cat.

She had blood tests and urine tests and a week later the vet called to say there was no sign of a kidney or bladder infection. But because she was still not eating much, the vet suggested I take her for an ultrasound.

I took Shelley for her ultrasound to Waves Pet Hospital on Friday 17th.  She had to be anaesthetised as they had to shave her belly and apparently they press hard on the belly. Sadly it showed she had a mass around her organs.  The radiologist called me into a room to give me the news and suggested he could do a biopsy to find out if it was cancerous, which would be handy to know if she was going to have chemo...   I didn't want a biopsy as I wouldn't put a 15 year old cat (or any animal of any age) through chemo. It's bad enough for humans, never mind a tiny animal, plus I can imagine it would cost heaven and earth!!

I had a bit of a cry at the radiology, while the radiologist went to wake her from the anaesthetic, and then brought her home. I bought a few different pouch foods which are softer, moister and probably better tasting than the normal canned food, but one day she might eat well, the next day she will turn up her nose at the same food.  She's eating 5 or 6 times a day, a tiny bit at a time. If and when she stops eating we will have to make a decision...

Shelley on the way to the vet. Being brushed after coming home and relaxing in the patio

Sunday 20th - Went to the baptism of our friend's grandchild and saw a lot of murals in the area.

And look at the dark skies when we left....and a lovely metal sculpture. We've had a few dark skies but still no real rain, and it's been quite humid which is unusual for Perth.



Thursday 24th - I had a movie voucher that had to be used up by the end of March, so we went to the movies - "Off the rails" , the last movie with Kelly Preston (John Travolta's wife) who died of breast cancer mid 2020. It was a feel good movie with music by Blondie and was quite enjoyable.


Saturday 26th - dinner at home with some friends. Because of a Covid rule of only 10 people at home we decided to eat in the patio, even though we were only 7. The night was still warm, so it was a great night. We made Roast meat, and roast potatoes and vegetables and I made an easy cheesecake and one of my friends brought a fruit salad.

Patio and table set-up. The sun set seen from our back garden was magnificent. 

Our suburb had the bi-annual verge collection, and a lot of people throw out perfectly good stuff, so I managed to pick up 2 chests of drawers, 6 bedside tables, and a small side table - most of it in perfect condition.



I only managed to paint a chair I already had and the small side table (on photo above right) and have started preparing 2 side tables to paint.

Our fig tree has been fruiting well and I've made 2 batches of fig jam. Gave a few jars away and I'm keeping a few to take with me to give to the family in Europe.

We enjoyed eating the 3 very delicious mangoes our tree gave this year. Sadly it would have been the trees best yield had it not been for the intense heat we had in Summer that burned all the tiny ones to a crisp!

                

Sunday 27th - And... drum roll🥁🥁....we booked flights to Europe for July. 

Flying via Singapore to Frankfurt, spending a few days with our daughter and son in law and then flying to Portugal (our daughter is coming with) to be with my parents, sister and nieces who are also travelling to Portugal around that time.




33 comments:

  1. You celebrated your birthday well.
    I don't remember seeing the Indiana Teahouse sculpture. It is brilliant. I must check the latest on what has happened to the teahouse.
    The stylised deer sculpture is great too.
    That is sad news about Shelley. Yes, at 15 it would be all too much.
    Ah, a visit to the folks back in the old country this year. I wonder if you could bring home made fig jam into Australia.
    We are wavering about travelling to England this year to see my partner's family.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Indiana Tea house is still there and redevelopment plans are on hold. I think Andrew Forrest's idea was to put a terraced building behind it with an hotel, restaurants, etc. Too many people against it!
      I very much doubt I could bring jam in, honey I know I can't bring for sure!! But I can bring cheeses, which we always do :)

      Delete
  2. Great Birthday gifts :-)
    Oh, WA is open? Wonderful! Here we still run crazy, Ingo needs to get tested every day.
    Oh! I didn´t know it´s the world's largest free public sculpture exhibition! Great on them - whas becoming of The Indiana?
    Sad we missed it again - the deer is great!
    Oh, poor Shelley. I remember our dog, Inka, it was a real sad drama. We should´ve let her go, but I was too young to see that.

    Germany. Video not available...
    Your food sounds yummy and the furniture - great!
    Ohhh, fig jam, Ingo would love that, he recently loves joghurt with jam.

    Yay for travels again! Singapore is a good choice, too. (just be quick, LOL!) And for family reunions. Mind you ... haven´t seen mine since 2 years. 60km to Braunschweig is too much for them :-( And no, I did not make a mistake, km-wise. It´s 60.
    Their loss, huh? (I would need to take tram, train and bus - all with mask on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having around 8500 cases a day the last couple of days, but only 22 people in Intensive care.
      The Indiana was bought and there are redevelopment plans for it with a low teared building behind it with an hotel and restaurants, but there is a lot of controversy about the plans, so they are on hold.
      I've put a note in my diary to take a jar of jam for Ingo LOL. I also like yogurt with jam. It's sad your brother doesn't come visit with the kids.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting to note that Western Australia has opened up again, while here I would not be surprised to see us back into some form of lockdown again as yet another variant runs rampant. I am itching to travel again but I don't think I am ready to share long flights with others yet, and there seems to be chaos at many airports too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time Western Australia opened, we had been closed for 2 years. They expected more cases by now and more deaths and hasn't been as bad as predicted, so hope it continues that way. Damn virus!!!
      What bugs me more about the long flight is wearing a mask for hours and hours!

      Delete
  4. ...the sculptures on the beach never disappoints! Thanks Sami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, it's always a special exhibition :)

      Delete
  5. Dearest Sami,
    Quite a busy month again.
    Happy belated Birthday to you and how sweet of your colleague for baking the chocolate cake!
    As for Shelley, that is sad and our Bandido who turned 15 on March 30, with his brother and two sisters, is showing some signs of weight loss.
    Don't want to put them through medical treatments. Bandido is our most vocal and taking him to the Vet in his wicker basket is already like committing murder. He screams and cries that goes through your soul.
    So we too love him and try to care for him as best as we can for as long as we can.
    The video is NOT playing in our country, for whatever restrictions.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette, I have a couple of lovely colleagues and we've been working together for about 9 years.
      I was surprised with Shelley because she was always the healthy one, hardly ever went to the vet. Twiggy is like Bandido, she miaws the whole 10 min trip there and back and at the vet she just want to run away.

      Delete
  6. March looks great and very busy! What's not to love with a birthday and fabulous sunsets and the beach and fun things like that. Looks like the main downside was Shelley and I hope she rallies. I would be inclined to do as you did -- skip the biopsy and give her the best life you can while she is hanging in there and if not in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, she is still eating (but has become very fussy) and drinking, loves to be brushed and to be patted on her head and belly.

      Delete
  7. Oh the food. I took some of the cake.

    ♪♫Happy Birthday to you,♪♫
    ♪♫Happy Birthday to you,♪♫
    ♪♫Happy Birthday Dear Sami,♪♫
    ♪♫Happy Birthday to you.♪♫

    Some great and colorful shots.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandee. Hope you enjoyed the cake 😂

      Delete
  8. Great to see the Sculptures by the Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. E é esta Austrália que a minha sobrinha está a adorar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ainda bem que ela está a gostar. Ela vem a Perth?

      Delete
  10. Happy belated birthday, Sami. Looks like you got some beautiful flowers and a great cake, too. Your meal sounds wonderful.

    I was over the moon with those sculptures. They are all so absolutely incredible. The Indiana Teahouse sculpture is beyond beautiful and HUGE.

    Nice to get some free furniture to make new and beautiful. You scored.

    Sorry to read about Shelley, though. I had just moved to Wichita in 1991 when my cat Dog got a polyp coming out of his bottom. I no longer had a job, just my savings from work. Here I was making $500.00 a semester at Wichita State, and yet I paid over $900.00 to have the polyp removed. I even had to sign a waiver that they wouldn't guarantee the operation would be a success. I got the first vet I found, because someone at school recommended him. Dog was nearly 19 at the time, and he lived another 13 months, so I was happy I did it. I can understand your concern, since chemo is more long term than a single operation. In the end, we have to make the decision for the loved one because they are unable to make that determination themselves. I hope she stays well for quite some time to come.



    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the birthday wishes Elizabeth. The sculptures at Cottesloe beach are the highlight of the year. As for Shelley I've been giving her pet hollistic medications to detox and concentrated vitamin C and she seems to be feeling a little better and has been eating better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beach sculptures are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite beautiful, thanks William :)

      Delete
  13. My, you have been busy! I am sorry to hear about the cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I'm sad about Shelley, we take a day at a time.

      Delete
  14. I love the sculpture by the sea photos. What a fabulous event. Congrats on the tickets to Europe. That will be great fun for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. The sculptures are a wonderful early event. And, yes I'm so looking forward to spend time with the family.

      Delete
  15. Sami, que dias animados tens tido!
    Em primeiro lugar, parabéns pelo teu aniversário... Desejo-te um novo ano repleto de felicidades.
    Que esculturas admiráveis! Também escolheria a tua preferida...
    Gostei de ver a cadeira restaurada, o doce de figo, as flores e as belas fotos de Perth.
    Li tudo com curiosidade e prazer...
    Continuação de dias empolgantes e venturosos. Abraço.
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Majo. Agradeco os elogios :) Um abraco

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco, igualmente para si.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for blogging to share this great blog for me to find out.

    Hilo

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.