COLOURFULWORLD

Monday, 3 August 2026

Monday Murals - Faro, Algarve

I love murals and street art. If you like murals or have a mural you'd like to post, this meme is for you.  Just follow the Linky steps below.  Once you start looking you will find murals everywhere.  The "Monday Mural" meme goes live on Monday at 12,01AM, Perth,Western Australian time. Be sure to link back to this blog and visit your fellow posters. Looking forward to your mural finds this week.  Thanks Sami

During our 3 days in the south of Portugal - Algarve - with my sister and brother in law we met up with Jose's eldest brother and sister in law, for dinner in the city of Faro, where they live.

On the walk to and from the restaurant in the pedestrian zones I spotted lots of murals, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 25th of April 1974 "Carnation revolution" in Portugal.

These are called "Freedom murals" and were painted to celebrate the spirit of liberation, across the Faro district and the wider Algarve region.

50 years giving carnations - 25 April






Other murals in Faro, not related to the Carnation Revolution






28 comments:

  1. ...Sami, you have such a varied collection to day. I have favorite is what I call "window murals" the designs and colors are fabulous. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freedom and liberation is always a good thing to celebrate, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a momentous day April 25, 1974, was in Portuguese history, dear Sami, I only learned through a book I read a few years ago. (The novel is called Night Train to Lisbon - author: Pascal Mercier - and the time of the Salazar regime is one of the plot lines. What a terribly long dictatorship...) The murals are important reminders of this date. Unfortunately, many people only realize how precious freedom is when they've lost it... (And right now, freedom is under threat in some parts of the world...)

    All the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/07/reisebericht-2025-nanaimo-und-abschied.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Traude, some so called "democratic" countries are having their rights cut down further and further... I was too young to have felt the weight of the dictatorship, but my parents felt it. I have not read the novel, but have seen the movie.

      Delete
  4. Even in Portugal you have found some wonderful murals.
    Have a good time and all the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many I didn't see as I never went into Lisbon, where there are loads! Thanks Violetta

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post: the fab street art, representing important history. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember learning about April 25 when in Portugal last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very important date for sure. Thanks Jackie

      Delete
  7. Those are exceptionally beautiful murals that you showed today!
    Thanks for hosting… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love them all but especially the utility box with the sailing boat upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those "Freedom murals" are wonderful - such bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome series of mural, Outstanding works.

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.