COLOURFULWORLD

Thursday 20 July 2017

Light Revamps

Our house was built in the 70's, so when we bought it 10 years ago we had to do a bit....or rather a lot of renovations to get it into the 21st century.
But of course our expertise doesn't stretch to all areas, and under Australian law mere mortals can't touch electrical stuff, it's got to be done by qualified electricians.

So we left the old wood and metal chandeliers in the lounge, dining room and corridor, with the intention of changing them sometime in the future...but of course then we just get used to these things and they get forgotten.

Originally I had just spray painted the chandeliers with white spray paint, so they could just blend in, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed a chandelier in a shop that was covered with a large lampshade and I liked the idea and thought it would suit our chandeliers, I just had to find large enough lampshades!

On a recent visit to Ikea, I found what I was looking for - the Nymo and the Jara lampshades - and with a bit of white metal chain and fishing line I managed to attach the shades to the chandeliers. 
Not too bad I think.

Over the dining room table - the Nymo lampshade
Inside the shade with the chandelier and metal chains
The first revamp with spray paint
The original chandeliers - they used to have glass bowls around but some were missing

For the 3 chandeliers in the corridor I chose a simple shade - Jara - and used the same method with the metal chain and fishing line to attach the shade.



I also bought this 2 piece bamboo shade - Jassa - that was highly discounted, spray painted it white and hung it in the sitting room next to the kitchen.



Another spray paint job was done with a leaf shaped metal dish that was going a bit rusty and I thought it would make a good candle holder for the patio table. Of course it had to be in turquoise as my house is mainly decorated in turquoise and orange.

From rusty platter ....
... to turquoise candle holder
 And that's all for small renovations for now. I've still got a few more painting jobs to do, but have to find some time to do them.
Enjoy the rest of your week.

20 comments:

  1. Well, well... that looks pretty good!
    Gostava de ter esse talento. Mas, como se costuma dizer, sou um zero à esquerda.

    A Ikea tem coisas muito interessantes, práticas e que ficam bem em qualquer casa.

    Gosto muito da travessa colorida. Torna a mesa mais alegre. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Catarina. Gosto muito de decoracao e estou sempre a arranjar algo para pintar ou modificar... Adora visitar o Ikea, mas nao posso la ir muitas vezes senao gasto muito dinheiro :)

      Delete
  2. How lovely it all turned out! You are a talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, I try my best. Hopefully these will last a few years until we decide what to do.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you´re really very creative, Sami! I love esp the first lamp - IKEA is not that bad after all, I guess.
    Yours is turquoise and orange, we have green and red - and quite frankly I´m afraid what happens if one day I don´t like red and green anymore, uhhh, SO much work!
    And turquoise, I love very much also...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris. At first I wasn't sure about the bronze interior of the shade, but I actually like it, specially when lit up at night.
      I've always loved all shades of blue. When we got married the accent colours were yellows, then later changed to oranges, and now turquoise and orange.

      Delete
  4. Very creative, you can start a tv-serie, how to upgrade your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, I think there are a lot more qualified people out there :)

      Delete
  5. I am so impressed - these are wonderful upgrades! I even spy a little turquoise lamp on your table that I have too! (IKEA has so many great ideas!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, yes and those were originally white and I also painted them.

      Delete
  6. I guess I wouldn't want to move to Australia, because when a friend and I replaced my back wall in my laundry room, we took it down to the studs. At that time, I found an electrical outlet had at one time been installed there. I replaced it, and while the back wall was still exposed, added an outside electrical outlet AND an outside light. If I'd had to hire someone, I would have paid a fortune for something I did myself in about three hours. Here in the states, if you own the property, you are allowed to do your own repairs including plumbing and electrical. It helps to have been raised by a grandfather who wanted a boy, but molded me instead. I think you did a fantastic job working around your arcane building laws. The updates were genius and well done, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you did well Elizabeth! I must confess I work with power tools, etc but I'm would be a bit scarred of doing electrical stuff. With our brick walls wiring for new plugs would have to be done by rewiring through the roof, so that is another job for electricians only. If you do your own thing and there's a fire the insurance won't pay out!

      Delete
  7. You are the queen of restoration Sami, your new lights look amazing, I would never have thought of that! Loved the turquoise leaf dish, such a pretty colour and perfect for the candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, it's a small improvement but it works.

      Delete
  8. I think it looks very nice Sami.
    Well done

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been scrolling through having a bit of a read, I like the Nymo lightshade very much, I'll have to get myself to Ikea. but would it fit a light fitted to the ceiling, not a hanging chandelier style? I'll find out when i get to Ikea, won't I. I've been meaning to go, they have a mirror I'd like in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great chandelier hack! So easy and simple, without needing electricians. The candle holder looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.