COLOURFULWORLD

Friday 28 April 2017

Picnic at Hyde Park

I'm sure you've all heard of Hyde Park in London!
Well, we also have a Hyde Park in Perth (Australia), and only recently did I visit it, even though I had driven past it quite a few times.

My husband worked during the Easter long weekend, and because I would be on my own I decided not to do anything special for Easter. My son suggested I join them on a picnic at Hyde Park on Easter Sunday.

Situated just north of the Perth city centre, this huge park has a lovely lake, beautiful old fig trees, exercise equipment, kids playgrounds, barbecues, a couple of gazebos and lots of birds.
It's an ideal place to hold a birthday party, to picnic, walk or even for weddings.

We had thought that most people would be home enjoying a special Easter Sunday meal with their families, but we were wrong! Half of Perth was at Hyde Park for sure!!

We drove around and around trying to find parking, and eventually parked a few blocks away. Luckily for me, the cooler box I took had wheels, otherwise I would have a heavy load to carry.

Barbecues, exercise machines, gazebos and lovely trees
Swans, Ibis, lakes and shady walking paths
After lunch we went for a long walk around the park, to try and get the baby to fall asleep in his pram and came across the source of the music we could hear - the Songkran Festival - which is the celebration of the Thai New Year or Water Festival, which was being hosted by the Thai Language Centre of Perth.
In one of the park's corners was a stage with dancers and musicians, there was a jumping castle, food stalls, and plenty of people sitting on the grass enjoyed a beautiful sunny day outdoors.

Songkran Thai Festival
 As we left the park and returned to our car I took a photo of the city, so you can see how close the park is to the city centre.   
It certainly was a lovely Easter Sunday!

           

19 comments:

  1. Added to my 2019-list, thank you, Sami!
    Love the pic of the swan. And, weee, in some places we have some public exercise equipment, too. We´re slowly "catching up" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to go for a picnic with the family to such an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, it certainly was a beautiful place for a picnic.

      Delete
  3. Não há nada melhor que um picnic em família. Não sabia que tb existia um bode Park na Austrália.
    E é lindo
    Kis :=}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Gi, por aqui temos imensos nomes baseados em locais Ingleses.

      Delete
  4. A great public space for all kinds of gatherings! I am so taken with those black swans!
    You have lots of choice in Perth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. The black swans are the animal symbol of Perth. They are found in the rivers and lakes all over Perth.

      Delete
  5. Now you know how lovely it is Sami you'll have to go back 😊 Super shots from Hyde park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll return to Hyde park Grace.

      Delete
  6. Such an impressive park. Of course, I was amazed by the exercise machines in the park. That was a new one for me.

    The black swans always make me smile. I've only seen the one at our zoo once. It's a beauty and something we don't have privy to here. Oh, and those palm trees. My heart goes thumpity thump every time I see one. They are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of parks here have exercise machines Elizabeth. The trees were fabulous and the black swans are really special, I enjoy seeing them too.

      Delete
  7. Looks such a lovely park, I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is also a nice Hyde Park, funny they have the same name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne. There seems to be a lot of things with the same names all over the world.

      Delete
  9. I love picnics! An Easter picnic sounds great too and a different way to gather the family and enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to get the invitation to join your son and the rest of non-working Perth for Easter in the park! Looks fabulous
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We flew home to book this venue in June last year. Absolutely loved event space here and I'll be certainly waiting to go back there for more events. Regardless of the time of your event, you always get the same thing: reasonable drink prices, great decoration, & friendly staff.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.